Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to empty torque converter of fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to empty torque converter of fluid?

If you disconnect the radiator coolant transmission fluid line and idle the engine, will it empty the torque converter of fluid or just empty the pan?

How can you empty the torque converter short of taking the converter out of the car.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: How to empty torque converter of fluid?

i would think to never leave the converter empty of fluid with the car running first off. going through the gears to get to neutral requires a certian fluid pressure within the transmission. even with the car in neutral it isnt possible to completely drain all the fluid as the converter doesnt engage until put in gear and thus the pump will not turn to push fluid.i figured taking it out was the only way to drain it.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: How to empty torque converter of fluid?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by X']['C WS6:
<strong> i would think to never leave the converter empty of fluid with the car running first off. going through the gears to get to neutral requires a certian fluid pressure within the transmission. even with the car in neutral it isnt possible to completely drain all the fluid as the converter doesnt engage until put in gear and thus the pump will not turn to push fluid.i figured taking it out was the only way to drain it. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I had the transmission in park idling while it was draining. I cut the engine off as soon as it stoped running out. That shouldn't cause any damage.

Based on weights I took I emptied out 4 1/4 quarts. I have quite a lot left I'm afraid. It holds 10.8 quarts empty. I'll take the pan off next and see if it is full but I would imagine the fluid that pumped out came from the pan leaving the converter full.

Quick Reply: How to empty torque converter of fluid?