Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some questions about a stock 4L60E and a D1SC

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Some questions about a stock 4L60E and a D1SC

I know these questions have been asked before, but not for what I am using my car for. My T/A is a daily driver and only has 40K miles on it. The powertrain is completely stock. I have owned a D1SC kit for over a year now, but I haven't installed it yet for a couple reasons. One, I was concentrating on my Formula. Two, I didn't need the power yet. Three, the factory 4L60E. I know the first thing everyone will say is upgrade the tranny. That is a no-brainer, but I don't drag race the car on slicks with a high stall TC. In fact, I don't want to pull the tranny until I am ready for the upgrade. So here is the deal. I want to install the D1SC kit with about 7-9psi of boost, headers, and full exhaust. I might put 3.42 gears (that I already have), girdle and a better differential in the rear (because I hate the factory LSD). I know a big tranny cooler, shift kit, and servo upgrade will help it to survive, but it is a matter which parts. I have also heard that higher shift points would cause more problems. I don't want to raise this since I am still on the factory valve springs and will most likely float at the higher RPMs. And like I said before, I am not taking this car to the track maybe once or twice on this tranny. Also, I used RP Max ATF in it since I bought the car (14000miles). Helpful comments are welcome.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are some things you could do to help this unit survive. But, it really is all about your expectations. If it were mine. I would not waste time or money on minor mods that are only considered preventative measures and not correct fixes to inherant factory design limitations.

If I were in your shoes I would put the D1 in and enjoy the car. If the transmission became symptomatic then I would address it. Don't stress out over it at all.

When the time is right just have it gone through by professionals and be done with it.

If you did not have the Track car I would have a much different approach to this combination. But, since you seem like the sort of guy who knows where his priorities are I have no problem saying run the Factory unit till it screams.

g
Old 01-27-2008, 05:07 PM
11 Second Club

I think you'll be fine. Like Gilbert said, just throw it on and enjoy it. I honestly think it'll last for awhile. These trannies are stronger than people give them credit for. A cooler might help, but with the stock converter I doubt you'll ever see temps high enough to hurt anything. More power doesn't mean more heat. You're brave to run synthetic fluid....the big builders don't recommend it. It's been shown to cause much more damage than good. Either way, good luck with it. I think you'll be surprised how long the tranny lasts even behind the D1.

Last edited by 99Hawk262; 01-28-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to sound negative, but a stock 4L60E is a time bomb. I've been through rebuilds and sponsor transmissions. It will go. My suggestion would be to spend the big bucks and get one that is proven to handle what your going to throw at it (RPM or FLT level V).
Old 01-28-2008, 09:47 AM
11 Second Club

^^^That's true....a stock unit is gonna go sooner or later, but several members have run stockers behind H/C setups, turbos, superchargers and nitrous with great success. Some have lasted a surprising amount of time. Granted, others have had failures within days (myself included), but I think there's a good chance that you'll get some mileage out of it before you have issues. It's a gamble either way!
Old 01-28-2008, 10:09 AM
FormerVendor

I think it is a foregone conclusion that it will not last for a long period of time in stock trim. But, like I said previously, the OP has a Track car that sees the rough duty. I'm confident when I say to install the SC kit and then once the unit fails have it professionally built. But, I would not just arbitrarily pull it out and do it because this car is not going get hammered on every time it goes out.

g
Old 01-28-2008, 10:14 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
I think it is a foregone conclusion that it will not last for a long period of time in stock trim. But, like I said previously, the OP has a Track car that sees the rough duty. I'm confident when I say to install the SC kit and then once the unit fails have it professionally built. But, I would not just arbitrarily pull it out and do it because this car is not going get hammered on every time it goes out.

g
Agreed!!! If its not broke, don't fix it. Unless you have $$$ to spend. Shoot, I'm still on the stock 10-bolt.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:14 AM
11 Second Club

just run it as is. youll love the boost. sometimes **** happens and stuff breaks.

i beat the **** out of my 4l60 and it hasnt broke. the only reason im getting a new tranny is because the motor is out because of a blown piston.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

some are lucky, some are not.

just don't assume you'll be lucky. be prepared.

I had a p1sc with stock cam, stock shift points, stock 2.73 gears, stock torque converter, a tranmission cooler, and runflat tires.

With nothing but street duty I lost the transmission after about 500 miles.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02NBMFormula
i beat the **** out of my 4l60 and it hasnt broke. the only reason im getting a new tranny is because the motor is out because of a blown piston.
Other than the tranny failing, I would build up the tranny along with the engine. I have a set of PP Stg2 LS6 heads, Speed Inc. SC2 cam, and a leftover 5.7 aluminum block out of my Formula project.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by will82
some are lucky, some are not.

just don't assume you'll be lucky. be prepared.

I had a p1sc with stock cam, stock shift points, stock 2.73 gears, stock torque converter, a tranmission cooler, and runflat tires.

With nothing but street duty I lost the transmission after about 500 miles.
What was the mileage on your car when you installed the supercharger and blew the tranny?
Old 01-28-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

leave the TM enabled and that will help.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

You guys are all missing the mark.. He is concerned about the tranny, ya may or may not hold up- personally.. if your going to put anything in it- a powerglide is the way to go for the money- but for everyday driving use.. probably not.. But your concern is the trans- but also you state nothing about fuel.. Prochargers will not proform correctly without the proper fuel treatment.. thats where id start first.. Fuel..
Then Rearend..
Then Trans- (by that time itll probably be gone..)
Dont forget Spoon equip...
By then- youll be flying!! oh..
And also the brakes.. Wilwood! Squeek- but stop.. lol -
Ill tell ya what- if you want to save yourselve some time n money- just by my car off of me ProChargers are SICK!!!! Youll love it!!
Old 02-17-2008, 09:04 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bigblock4-speed
You guys are all missing the mark.. He is concerned about the tranny
Yeah, we know.

Did he just come in here and say that?

Really?

g
Old 02-17-2008, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

lol.. ya i guess i did.. should have saved the best for last, lol
Old 02-18-2008, 01:21 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the deal: As soon as I went to over 500 rwhp my tranny went out. It went out quickly in a few days. No track time for this car either. 100 percent street car.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:11 AM
10 Second Club

Conversely it is hit or miss too. We have been running at 550+, and the car was tuned on the street and Dyno with 532 and ~510 rwtq. Our stock 4L60E with a stall and a good cooler has not given us any problems (yet) but we do know it is a not if but when.

Our stocker has seen a 10.4@130, and no apparent signs of any problems.

Best bet though is to just upgrade the tranny and have the peace of mind that is not there now, or this thread wouldn't exist in the first place!
Old 02-18-2008, 08:45 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Save your tranny!

Ship me the D1SC kit. I'll even pay for UPS ground.

That's the best and most sure-fire solution I have for you.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:12 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TWS
Save your tranny!

Ship me the D1SC kit. I'll even pay for UPS ground.

That's the best and most sure-fire solution I have for you.
Well see... I didn't even consider that option.

Helluva idea dude!

Sounds like a win / win to me.

g

Quick Reply: Some questions about a stock 4L60E and a D1SC