Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny rebuild

im looking at a t/a with 130k miles on body and trannmision 18k on brand new motor due to road debris puncturing the oil pan he has papers to prove it is a brand new motor but the transmission is kinda scaring me. So the question is about how much will a rebuild cost on a 4l60e? I'm in Middle Tennessee if anyone has had any rebuilt around there
Old 02-15-2008, 10:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A true rebuild that will last is gonna cost some money. I recommend FLT....I had a local company rebuild my first tranny and it didn't even last a year. After lots of research, I decided on FLT due to their excellent customer service and top-notch tranny. You'll be hard-pressed to find someone who's had a problem with one of their units. If you look on their website, the parts listed are only half of what really goes into their units. You truly get a new tranny when you buy from them. They test each tranny on a dyno to guarantee it's in perfect working condition.

They also offer a refresh option that can't be beat. If it ever fails, they refresh it for $250 plus parts. That was a big deal to me since we all know that 4L60's aren't going to last forever. FLT is proven over and over again. There are other companies that take 2 and even 3 times to get a tranny right.....FLT does it the first time every day!
Old 02-16-2008, 12:42 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a lot of miles for that trans. I would start saving your pennies as it will probably not last much longer. Good luck with the new car and feel free to give us a call if you need us. Vince
Old 02-16-2008, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
A true rebuild that will last is gonna cost some money. I recommend FLT....I had a local company rebuild my first tranny and it didn't even last a year. After lots of research, I decided on FLT due to their excellent customer service and top-notch tranny. You'll be hard-pressed to find someone who's had a problem with one of their units. If you look on their website, the parts listed are only half of what really goes into their units. You truly get a new tranny when you buy from them. They test each tranny on a dyno to guarantee it's in perfect working condition.

They also offer a refresh option that can't be beat. If it ever fails, they refresh it for $250 plus parts. That was a big deal to me since we all know that 4L60's aren't going to last forever. FLT is proven over and over again. There are other companies that take 2 and even 3 times to get a tranny right.....FLT does it the first time every day!
Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
That is a lot of miles for that trans. I would start saving your pennies as it will probably not last much longer. Good luck with the new car and feel free to give us a call if you need us. Vince
yeh im just trying to get some general ideas trying to figure out if it would be better to buy a 95k mile car for the same price
Old 02-16-2008, 07:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
There are other companies that take 2 and even 3 times to get a tranny right.....FLT does it the first time every day!
That's right. Not many companies can get it right the first time every time when building High Performance 4L60E's.

I have a car that was driven up from Houston this evening that was built by a very highly respected local builder who "knows old school' units. It was built and then was subsequently gone back into 3 times recently before he came to me. Point is, be very careful who you choose to go with! No doubt the builder I referrenced has skill and has built countless automatic transmissions and is good at what he does. But he obviously does not understand the 4L60E and the car it is going into.

It is a testament to the very high degree of difficulty involved. When good and sound building techniques and company philosophies are used in conjunction with a very in depth, detailed understanding of the unit and the correct "recipe" of parts and workmanship are utilized it can be a very formidable transmission.

Good Luck with the car... whichever one you go with!

g