Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission died...... have to replace torque converter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 12:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission died...... have to replace torque converter?

Last week while on the freeway my transmission finally went out. It happened when i decided to gun it while emerging from the on-ramp to the freeway. I notice that i needed to gain speed because everyone was flying on the freeway. Right after i gunned it, it shifted like it was suppose to then it just slipped and went straight to what felt like neutral. Right after that, i knew it was gone. My question is, do I have to replace the torque converter as well? Or can it be flushed out clean?
Old 04-01-2008, 07:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fastz
Last week while on the freeway my transmission finally went out. It happened when i decided to gun it while emerging from the on-ramp to the freeway. I notice that i needed to gain speed because everyone was flying on the freeway. Right after i gunned it, it shifted like it was suppose to then it just slipped and went straight to what felt like neutral. Right after that, i knew it was gone. My question is, do I have to replace the torque converter as well? Or can it be flushed out clean?
It is usually suggested to cut and clean your converter, to be on the safe side. The only time I would not suggest a Cut & Clean is if something like the sun-shell broke and there was no metal contamination. It sounds like something is slipping and/or burnt, which means debris are circulating in you fluid. In my opinion it is not worth the risk of contaminating a fresh transmission. What type of converter are you running??

Chris
Old 04-01-2008, 09:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Circle-D
It is usually suggested to cut and clean your converter, to be on the safe side. The only time I would not suggest a Cut & Clean is if something like the sun-shell broke and there was no metal contamination. It sounds like something is slipping and/or burnt, which means debris are circulating in you fluid. In my opinion it is not worth the risk of contaminating a fresh transmission. What type of converter are you running??

Chris
Absolutely....when my tranny went, I got my converter cleaned/re-stalled and flushed my coolers out. The crap that came out of the coolers was full of shavings and pitch black in color. That is the same crap that was in my converter. People have failed to clean their converters/coolers and ruined brand new transmissions in just a few miles. It should be a mandatory step in the replacement of a tranny.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:43 PM
12 Second Club

Im running a TCI street fighter 3500 stall. I checked my tranny fluid and it is the color of motor oil now (light brown). Not the red color anymore! so yea.... my tranny went! Where do I go to get my converter cut and cleaned? can the transmission shop do it themselves? Or do i have to send it out. thanks for the info
Old 04-01-2008, 06:56 PM
11 Second Club

Touchdown 99Hawk262!!!! 1FAST Z, send it back to TCI. Most converter companies will do this for 150-250.00. Maybe one of these fine vendors will do it.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:09 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Circle D had a special on cut and cleans. I'm not sure if it's still going, but at least you know it'll be done right.

G/L
Old 04-01-2008, 08:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, the special is still on. Here is the link about it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...703&highlight=

Chris