Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

th400 problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default th400 problem

I've finally got all the bugs worked out in my th400 install and have been able to put some miles on the tranny finally without breaking flexplates. After putting about 100 miles on the trans I've noticed a problem with my first gear engagement. When I come to a stop with the trans warmed up I have to give it throttle for 1st to engage and when it does, it will engage slowly. After it is engaged my 1-2 shift sometimes is hard and sometimes is slow but once it is in gear all the way there is no slippage if I stand on it in any gear. I believe i'm having a problem with line pressure, but i'm very new at this so I could be very wrong. Also when I engage the transbrake in 1st gear it wants to go slowly in reverse. So that is why I also believe i'm not getting enough pressure in my drive gears.

The trans is a RMVB TH400 that I bought used from a member on this board and local mechanic I know. He took it out of his car that was SBC powered and only had a few track passes before he switched to a glide I believe. I'll be talking to him more thursday about it but I didn't know if anyone had ran into this problem in the past.

If it was a line pressure problem would it just be a valve body problem? I tried to do some reading but I haven't found really any info on how to fix this problem.

Thanks for any help

Last edited by pddye; 05-19-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:57 AM
10 Second Club

Bump for the lunch crowd. If I was to drop the pan would there be anything I could look for with the trans still in the car? or is there anything I could do or fix while the trans was still in?
Old 05-19-2008, 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

Just took out all the fluid and it didn't smell burnt at all, and it looked pretty decent. I refilled it with less fluid this time to see if I had an over fill issue but it did the same thing if not a little worse. The solenoid on the transbrake said TCI so i'm guessing it is also a TCI valvebody then. So no one has any suggestions where to start? I can't believe i'm the first and only to have this problem happen before.