Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!!!

Ok here is my problem, i have a 94 z28, when i have the car in drive it shifts ok and drives fine. If i down shif myself into third it doesnt really feel like it engages for about five seconds and if i try to put it into second it basically never feels like it engages. Now about two weeks ago the tranny would catch really good and when i shifted down myself it would catch and rev up a few thousand rpm's and slow the car down, sorry i dont know much about this and im a newb to transmission problems.Now my question is this, is it time for a rebuild? or is there something else that is wrong that would be cheaper. I just had the fluid changed last week.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:56 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Of course always check fluid level and condition first but My first thought is a cracked overun clutch piston which would require a tear down of the trans If its high mileage then I would say rebuild or replace

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-14-2008, 10:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You symptoms certainly point to an internal pressure loss. Unfortunately I would have to say that it is indeed time to look at a rebuild or replacement unit.

If you would like to explore some options feel free to give me a call.

g
Old 07-14-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

dang i was hoping that wasn't the case, ok so my next problem is im not really financially able to do a rebuild at this moment. Will i be ok for possibly a month or two if i really take it easy on the car cause its my daily driver and my only car to drive. Thanks for the info guys. Im actually looking to do a manual swap and hoping that this thing will hold up for a few months.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Drive only in the OD position and you may buy some time, Why would you wanna go manual you will be slower ?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-14-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

well like i said the car is just my daily driver and the six speed will increase my gas mileage and my commute to work is about 90% freeway. Plus the fun factor of having the six speed and i have always wanted a six speed car. I rarely even go to the track maybe once a year. Also i live in az and they have cracked down on street racing and stuff alot so there are no cars out wanting to race becaue of that and fuel costs. So as long as im easy on the car and leave it in OD i should be ok for a little bit while i can get some money together?