Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transgo Shift Kit Stage II for 4l80e

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 12:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transgo Shift Kit Stage II for 4l80e

I will be installing one of these in the next few days, do i have to or should i change any other settings with the tranny with my HPTUNERS? Or isnt there really a need?
Old 08-19-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I would put the pressure tables back to stock if they have been modified. The TG kit installs a heavier pressure regulator spring in the 4L80E.
It works excellent in those transmissions.

I would be conservative with the orifice sizing for 4th gear. The 4L80E shifting gets firm fast with mods so the hole sizing doesn't have to be as big as the older units.

I would also recommend starting with a new seperator plate from GM. If the trans has been rebuilt before you can get into odd problems caused by builders who do cheesy mods.
TransGo also makes a seperator plate.
I prefer the GM plates though.

If it is a high mileage unit, be sure to check the actuator limit valve and TCC valves for wear.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a stock 4l80e with about 50k miles on it. So i assume its fine then?
Yea there isnt a point to have firm shifts into 4th. Would you choose the firmest for 1-3? Can you vary them like firm 1-3 and softer into 4th?
Old 08-20-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

50K is probably fine but check the valves anyway, the Transgo instructions show you how.

Yes there are options on the hole sizing included in the kit.

I would probably leave the 4th feed stock or no bigger than .085". The higher line pressure will firm it up anyway over stock with no drilling.

1-2 is better to keep conservative, it keeps the sprag alive.

2-3, there isn't anything to hurt by having this hole drilled big, but no reason to go BIG because it WILL shift firm due to the dual feed and higher pressures.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:34 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The newest kits from transgo come with a new separator plate. Not sure which kit you got just thought I would throw that out there. I personally like to drill the holes for 3rd and 4th to about .093. The 2nd hole can be tricky depending on how you set up the accumulator valve in the VB. If you are using both blue springs then a larger hole will give you a better shift feel. If you are only using the single inner spring then a large hole is not really required. I find depending on how the kit gets set up sometime the 1-2 shift is kinda soft with a high stall converter. It's always best to go with smaller hole sizes if this is your first time installing this kit. Remember you can always go back in there and drill them larger if desired. Kind hard to go the other way without another new plate. Vince

Quick Reply: Transgo Shift Kit Stage II for 4l80e