Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T/A 700r4 into truck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default T/A 700r4 into truck?

Well in my 88 Silverado I lost 3rd and 4th gear. I got a replacement 700r4 from a friend out of a third gen T/A. I guess first question would be the linkage. The truck when in neutral the lever is pointed towards the rear of the truck. The lever on the T/A trans doesn't point the same way. Can I just move the lever?
In other words, are the guts the same in both, just the lever points in a different direction?
I'm thinking I can just move the lever aft til it stops on the T/A trans, then take the nut off and move the lever til it lines up with the truck linkage, is this correct??

Does it matter which torque converter I use? I figure I might as well use the one that was on the truck as I wasn't having a issue there.

Are the tail housings the same length? I know the one from the T/A has the torque arm mount and all that garbage, but besides that are they the same?

Whats the square electrical connector for? Its unhooked on the truck, but the wire is there?

Think that's all, I want to put it in tommarow, got the old one out today, which was a reman.... tag was still on it. I'm guessing the clutches went out, as it will still shift up, but then it just revs like its in neutral.