Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lock up test

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lock up test

i dont think my trans is lockin up in any gear. how can u test it with out a comp.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get up to 45+ MPH, cruise lightly with the least amount of throttle. Slightly accelerate and watch the rpms, they should increase slowly as your MPH increases. Now cruise at the same speed, but this time apply the brake slightly. You should see the rpms jump up 200-300 rpms or so. Slightly increase the throttle and watch the rpms, they should jump up from 500-1000 rpms. This indicates the converter clutch is locking. The rpms variance is more noticeable the larger the converter is. On a stock stall you will be hard pressed to see a noticeable difference. Good luck!
Old 09-04-2008, 05:27 PM
12 Second Club

well what made me think it wasnt happening was that at high speeds in forth when u roll into the gas like to pass someone. it feels like its slipping untill it catches to speed. weirdish. btw it is a stock verter. another thing is that when cruising like at 45 like u said. if i taped the brake i could tap the brake and feel/hear it unlock from the exhaust note change. now it doesnt. what could it be? is it def the converter? can this harm anything besides gas mileage. n i guess time to upgrade.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well there can be lots of reasons for no lockup , Engine misfire beng the first that comes to mind and yes it can cause the trans to overheat

Call 888-744-6542

Old 09-05-2008, 04:16 PM
12 Second Club

no miss fire. how to i go on to find whats causing it no to lock up
Old 09-05-2008, 05:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well the first thing is to determine if lockup is being commanded.

Since you have no access to a scanner

1-get 12v LED from radio shack(not a light bulb)
2- About 5 feet of wire
3- Two but connectors and blue wire splicer(the kind that you don't have to cut the wire)
4-1-aligator clip

splice one end of your wire into the tan wire with black stripe at trans harness
then connect the other end to the negative side of the LED. Now connect a piece of wire to the POS side and at the end of the wire put the alligator clip and clip the alligator clip to a 12v source in fuse box. Make sure wires clear everything then drive car, LED will light up anytime the PCM commands lockup and this will let you know if your looking at a trans/converter related issue or a Tuning/PCM related issue.

Now honestly its probably easier just to take the car some where and have them hook a snap on scanner to it and just let them look or a tuner. But if for whatever reason that is not and option this is a simple test for that.

In fact a couple people who have used the test have actually made a permanent set up in there car just and idea

Call 888-744-6542