Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a little help with a TH350 Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little help with a TH350 Transmission

well here is a run down, this transmission is aprox 1977-1979 turbo hydromatic 350, 6" short tail transmission, this has been reciently rebuilt by myself, I had put in a TRANSGO SHIFT KIT TH350-1&2 (M-T44171), and ALTO RED EAGLE FRICTIONS and ALTO, KOLENE STEELS - all parts in the rebuild are brand new, and high performance,

with engine running at normal operating temperatures, car is upon stands - so that the rear wheel base is not in contact with the ground in any way, i put the vehicle into reverse, reverse works fine, then neutral - well of course neutral will work fine, and it did.. then i had shifted the vehicle into Drive, 1st 2nd and 3rd shifted into fine, no noise, smooth shift, vehicle was ran upto 4000 revolutions, all workes fine there.. then with brakes on i manualy select 2nd gear, 2nd gear works fine at all revolutions, then i put the brakes to slow tires down and unto a stop, then i had selected 1st - now here is my problem, when i manualy select first gear, the transmissons acts like i put it into park, very stiff, no noise, no tire movement, manualy selecting first gear is like being put into park.. it feels as if 1st gear is locked up, but in all other described above it works fine, is this a valve body issue?? or is this a piston issue?? or a check ball issue?? with the shift kit it only requires 2 out of 4 check ***** to be put in.. what would you guys recomend??
Old 09-29-2008, 01:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I have seen this when the snap ring was not put in the case above the low/roller support

Call 888-744-6542

Old 09-29-2008, 01:17 PM

i followed the ATSG tech manual to put everyting back into the transmission the correct way... not the best for beginners "this is what i am", but i do recall putting the ring back in, althoug i will note this so that if its not anything else, i will go dig back into the trans..
Old 09-29-2008, 08:53 PM

any other possibilitys??
Old 09-29-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Check the seals and piston on the 1-2 accumulator.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:29 PM

already did that, had that thought last night, i had decided to change the seals, to eliminate that as being a possilility.. also today i went through out the valve body, there was some gunk, i have removed all the gunk, funny how there was some after the rebuild, but when the friction disks went there was quite a big mess, but thats now been cleaned up.. well i guess that my last option is to drop the transmission and see if something happened to get knocked loose some how.