Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

How to become a Mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyKrauss
I like members of the opposite sex. You like members of the same sex? Apparently the military is better represented by homophobes and racists than professional and effective soldiers, regardless of their orientation or ethnicity.

I'm working with the mechanic here in Arizona who's been fixing my Camaro...spent a lot of time (and money) fixing this car, and learned a lot about it. So, he's going to start teaching me, and I'm investing some of my deployment money in starting an actual business
comon man you know what the hell I meant. I said all that stuff against Gay's and then in the heat of typing I messed up my wording so don't be a wise guy. I never said anything about being racist dude..stop being gay lol
Old 03-01-2012, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Learn a trade. I run my own business by myself doing mainly service work and put in about 8 months / year. Live very comfortable, get to watch my kids grow up and attend a lot of car shows.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Oil changes are easy so I'd start there by trying to get a job at an oil change place. Although I would never make it a career. Working on my car or helping buddies out is one thing. But I refuse to do it for the rest of my life. Keep in mind some mechanics make very good money and some make jack ****. I've seen shops where some of the techs have STI's and 370z and then an AAMCO where everyone had shitty cars. Like someone else said tho Master techs tend to make good money and so do Managers at shops. I think this type of job is more based on preference. I like it as a hobby not a job.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

^^^ so you are judgeing what a tech makes from what he drives?
Old 03-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
^^^ so you are judgeing what a tech makes from what he drives?
IMO, If you are looking for work at a specific company, a great way to figure out how much the employees make is to look in the parking lot at the type of cars they drive. That doesn't always work in the automotive industry though as those mechanics probably have all their money tied up in tools. But I mean, if you are making a good deal of money and are smart enough to not pay $100 for a snap-on wrench or $50 for a screwdriver, then I would think you would not be driving around in some 20 year old rust bucket pos beater. Then again, some people, leave their nice cars at home for the morning m-f commutes to avoid unwanted accidents by all the bad drivers out there.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bjorn20
IMO, If you are looking for work at a specific company, a great way to figure out how much the employees make is to look in the parking lot at the type of cars they drive. That doesn't always work in the automotive industry though as those mechanics probably have all their money tied up in tools. But I mean, if you are making a good deal of money and are smart enough to not pay $100 for a snap-on wrench or $50 for a screwdriver, then I would think you would not be driving around in some 20 year old rust bucket pos beater. Then again, some people, leave their nice cars at home for the morning m-f commutes to avoid unwanted accidents by all the bad drivers out there.
Lol. Pretty much any tech I know including myself drive a beater for a DD. My nice car is at home. A lot of techs get lucky and are able to buy a car that needs a lot of work that a customer just doesn't want to fix anymore.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

^^ I agree. PPl are different. So one guy wants a nice DD, Myself am building a street/strip car and have way to much money into and drive a s-10.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NBM99SS
Lol. Pretty much any tech I know including myself drive a beater for a DD. My nice car is at home. A lot of techs get lucky and are able to buy a car that needs a lot of work that a customer just doesn't want to fix anymore.
Yup, thats what I did when I was turning wrenches. Once in a whiile the SS made an apearance at the shop, but mainly if I had something to mess with on it.

Last edited by Tall Guy; 03-23-2012 at 09:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-23-2012, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 97badass
I've been a mechanic for 10 years going on 11 pay isn't the greatest but it gets me through. I wish I had stayed in school and went to college for something else, but I love working on engines. But it deffinatly takes its toll on the fun factor of working on your own stuff.
You've been a mechanic since the age of 13(according to your profile)?

Quick Reply: How to become a Mechanic