Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Chevy Gives the Green Light for COPO Launch

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy Gives the Green Light for COPO Launch

The Chevrolet COPO Camaro drag racer will be the fastest and one of the most limited models ever.

Chevrolet has just announced that the COPO Camaro purpose-built drag racer has received the green light for production. Set to compete in the NHRA Stock Eliminator and Super Stock racing classes, the fastest Camaro ever will come with a choice of three engines and plenty of racing-spec parts.

"The COPO Camaro is going to shake up the sportsman drag racing ranks this summer and give Chevy fans a great new reason to cheer on the Bowtie," said Jim Campbell, the GM's U.S. VP of performance vehicles and motorsports.

Motivation arrives in the form of either a naturally aspirated 7.0-liter V8, 5.3-liter V8 with a 2.9-liter supercharger and a 5.3L V8 with a top-of-the-line 4.0-liter supercharger. All the engines are coupled with a drag racing-spec Powerglide automatic transmission.

The COPO Camaro, first seen at last year's SEMA Show in Las Vegas, is available in five colors: Flat Black, Summit White, Victory Red, Silver Ice Metallic and Ashen Gray Metallic.

Racing parts are found throughout the COPO Camaro, such as a solid axle and full chrome moly roll cage, racing-spec seat and racing sports steering wheel. All parts are NHRA-compliant

Chevrolet is expecting a high level of demand for their fastest Camaro ever, so much so that they brought in a third party to handle all sales. Only 69 units will be built with pricing starting at $89,000.

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2012/3/9...aunch-7707746/
Old 03-11-2012, 03:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I absolutely can't beleive there goin to actually do this that's awesome! Thanks for posting this up!
Old 03-12-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Think of the parts - if available - through the dealer now.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that copo car is freaking nice, i dont like 5th gens that much but just love the look of them, i heard there not street legal, and there going to cost a big buck, guess i will have to wait a few years and buy a ss and make it into a copo lol
Old 03-12-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BanditTA
Think of the parts - if available - through the dealer now.
Sure...if you have a corresponding vin, 3 types of legal I.D., S.S. card, blood sample, and a soul to sell :/
But seriously, it's getting difficult to get simple replacement parts (that are dealer only), without a correlating vin these days.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:28 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 6898camaross
I absolutely can't beleive there goin to actually do this that's awesome! Thanks for posting this up!
This is cool stuff.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$90k camaro.... passsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Quick Reply: Chevy Gives the Green Light for COPO Launch