2015,year of the mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 06:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default 2015,year of the mustang

http://www.torquenews.com/106/mustan...eptember-sales

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425091

why is GM taking its time getting 6th gens to dealers?
Old 10-03-2015, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Rather they delay and not have a bunch of recalls/fixes required.

No surprise here on sales, as expected with new models released.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't understand how people get past the rear end of the mustang
Old 10-03-2015, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
Rather they delay and not have a bunch of recalls/fixes required.

No surprise here on sales, as expected with new models released.
good point. im just surprised theyre giving away sales but i guess GM expects to make it up once it hits showrooms.

Originally Posted by fspeedster
i think it looks better than the previous generation. apparently a lot of buyers do too.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

the Camaro is headed where it was in 98-2002. fastest but low sales.

this 6th gen looks like the 5th gen with a Chevrolet SS rear end.

no more bragging about a ls7 z28 that no longer exists.

fastest, low sales, super expensive. the chevy formula.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by assasinator
the Camaro is headed where it was in 98-2002. fastest but low sales.

this 6th gen looks like the 5th gen with a Chevrolet SS rear end.

no more bragging about a ls7 z28 that no longer exists.

fastest, low sales, super expensive. the chevy formula.
bold statement but i respectfully disagree.

while a 6th gen might not sell as well as a 5th gen due to a price increase i think itll remain competitive.

while youre right that the fastest doesnt mean best seller this a far better car than a 4th gen ever was. thats not even arguable despite what any 4th gen owner says me included.

i think GM will diversify a 6th gen lineup to be profitable and keep the competition on its toes.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Going to disagree as well. The 5th gen was the top seller in it's class. The 3rd gen leading to the 4th gen (essentially the same suspension with a different body and powertrain), was not. Times are different, including, most importantly, that GM is making money building Camaros, unlike the 4th gen where they knew an entire new platform was required to meet 2003 safety requirements.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
while youre right that the fastest doesnt mean best seller this a far better car than a 4th gen ever was. thats not even arguable despite what any 4th gen owner says me included.
Except that it's not about how much "better" the 6th gen is than a platform that was designed 20+ years ago. It's about how 4th gen compared to SN95 Mustang, and how 6th gen now compares to current competition, and drawing parallels between those two respective comparisons. Mustang was not at all a "far better" car in the '98-'02 years, as compared to F-body, but somehow it still had better sales - even with a massive power deficit and no big difference in price.

I think this is the main point of the statement above, that we may be looking at a return of F-body sales lagging the competition, regardless of who is faster, based possibly on styling and the price increase for Camaro. Obviously this is just speculation, but I can see why someone might suggest it. The concept does have certain merits.

One key difference here is that current Mustang and current Camaro aren't as far apart in terms of functional styling as the SN95 and 4th gens were (hatchback vs. trunk, totally different seating positions, etc.) Having said that, there are still some pretty noticeable cosmetic differences that may work in Mustang's favor. I definitely feel that Ford did a better job with the appearance of '15 Mustang than GM did for the '16 Camaro.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Except that it's not about how much "better" the 6th gen is than a platform that was designed 20+ years ago. It's about how 4th gen compared to SN95 Mustang, and how 6th gen now compares to current competition, and drawing parallels between those two respective comparisons. Mustang was not at all a "far better" car in the '98-'02 years, as compared to F-body, but somehow it still had better sales - even with a massive power deficit and no big difference in price.

I think this is the main point of the statement above, that we may be looking at a return of F-body sales lagging the competition, regardless of who is faster, based possibly on styling and the price increase for Camaro. Obviously this is just speculation, but I can see why someone might suggest it. The concept does have certain merits.

One key difference here is that current Mustang and current Camaro aren't as far apart in terms of functional styling as the SN95 and 4th gens were (hatchback vs. trunk, totally different seating positions, etc.) Having said that, there are still some pretty noticeable cosmetic differences that may work in Mustang's favor. I definitely feel that Ford did a better job with the appearance of '15 Mustang than GM did for the '16 Camaro.
A purely subjective topic - styling. You could never tell me a SN95 was a better styled car than any 4th gen - but that's my opinion.

Just like the new S550 - I like the side and rear profile. But having seen them in person, I can't stand the new front end - the 13-14's front was much nicer, and much more "Mustang," but I digress, just my opinion.

Waiting to see a 6th gen in person. From what I've seen so far, the only problem I have is the rear bumper crease below the taillights. Not a fan of the gap spoiler either, but I wouldn't be buying an SS either way, so have to see what the ZL1 and Z/28 body work looks like...
Old 10-05-2015, 04:49 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
A purely subjective topic - styling. You could never tell me a SN95 was a better styled car than any 4th gen - but that's my opinion.
Let me be clear in saying that I definitely agree 100%, but somehow SN95 still managed to outsell 4th gen even with a massive power deficit and roughly the same MSRP (base V8 for base V8.) Mustang was certainly not a better performance platform, or better performance value, or "better" car overall, but somehow it managed much better sales; perhaps marketing, or styling (cosmetic or functional), or some combo of the two explained the sales difference. In any event I, like you, prefer the 4th gen - but we were/are in the minority.

As for current Mustang, I also agree that the '13-'14 was a better looking car, and while the '15 is a slight step backward it's still a nicer looking car than the images I've seen so far of the '16 Camaro IMO.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think the 6th Gen is slow to get to dealers. Did they ever announce a firm date only to push it back? Camaro will hit the lot later this month and catch the Mustang pretty quickly. This is what happens when you improve on a (great) car this much. No one will buy the current one. As much as I love the 1LE, even a 20% off sale won't get me in the dealership for one when the 6th Gen is better in every way (except price).
Old 10-05-2015, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Let me be clear in saying that I definitely agree 100%, but somehow SN95 still managed to outsell 4th gen even with a massive power deficit and roughly the same MSRP (base V8 for base V8.) Mustang was certainly not a better performance platform, or better performance value, or "better" car overall, but somehow it managed much better sales; perhaps marketing, or styling (cosmetic or functional), or some combo of the two explained the sales difference. In any event I, like you, prefer the 4th gen - but we were/are in the minority.

As for current Mustang, I also agree that the '13-'14 was a better looking car, and while the '15 is a slight step backward it's still a nicer looking car than the images I've seen so far of the '16 Camaro IMO.
No arguments on stated points RPM.

I can't comment on US sales, only what I saw up here in the great white North. Here in Canada, Ford dealerships were offering incentives on Mustangs, pushing sales (could be the salesman would make as much money selling a Mustang as say a Probe or whatever at the time), and did a great job of advertising the pony car.

GM dealerships, at least in the prairie provinces, barely ever had a single 4th gen on the lot (and let's be honest, most SN95 sales were V6s, and I didn't once see a V6 cheap 4th gen new on any GM lot at the time), tried to convince many buyers that Cavalier/Sunfire was a better fit (we know this is BS, but it's the honest truth of what was happening - again possibly due to how much a salesman would earn selling a single car), and if they did have one on the lot, was a Firehawk, or loaded SS - which at the time cost close to 50K with the Canadian dollar hovering around $0.65/US dollar.

That is the truth of what was going on in Canada, to this day, 4th gens are rare to see, especially nice WU8 or WS6 cars. I paid 33K for mine in 2000, with 3200kms (~2000 miles) on the OD and that was a steal in Canada at the time (No SLP options, WU8 SS, M6 w/BBS Hurst option, Monsoon stereo, leather, no CD changer, and traction control).
Old 10-05-2015, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z Fury
I don't think the 6th Gen is slow to get to dealers. Did they ever announce a firm date only to push it back? Camaro will hit the lot later this month and catch the Mustang pretty quickly. This is what happens when you improve on a (great) car this much. No one will buy the current one. As much as I love the 1LE, even a 20% off sale won't get me in the dealership for one when the 6th Gen is better in every way (except price).
This, enthusiasts wait for the better performing models and are generally willing to pay for the options they want.

It's the new 4 cyl and V6 models that will make the sales numbers - if Chevy prices those well above the Mustang's equivalent, then they are shooting themselves in the foot.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

i was just thinking that since a new MY started in sept. redesigned mustangs were out and i thought GM would want to take it on head to head.

i thought that while must buyers would wait and you can order a 6th gen dealers have told me you can test drive a new mustang now and that might cause a few lost sales since you can take one home instead of waiting.

ive been a 5th gen fan and i like a 6th gen even more but if ford offers a killer deal it might sway some people...
Old 10-06-2015, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

bold statement but i respectfully disagree.

while a 6th gen might not sell as well as a 5th gen due to a price increase i think itll remain competitive.

i think GM will diversify a 6th gen lineup to be profitable and keep the competition on its toes.
i am sure im in the minority here that thinks the 96Z28 and the pontiac banshee prototype are the pinnacle of ponycar looks. its all downhill from there.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by assasinator
i am sure im in the minority here that thinks the 96Z28 and the pontiac banshee prototype are the pinnacle of ponycar looks. its all downhill from there.
i still like my GTO very much but i think the big three have come a long way offering what buyers like. while i understand it pricing also has gone up to where its almost ridiculous imo.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

while i understand it pricing also has gone up to where its almost ridiculous imo.
Couldn't agree more. The new Camaro's pricing is so high, I'll definitely be waiting for a refresh for the price to drop, even though I'm eligible for employee pricing. Paying $42K+ for a 6th Gen the way I want it is a bit much. I'm getting closer to discounted Vette pricing than I thought possible...

EDIT - Ok, so not that close to Vette prices. Still, who would have thought a V8 Camaro that was not a special edition approaching $45K...

Last edited by Z Fury; 10-06-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015,year of the mustang

Originally Posted by Z Fury
Couldn't agree more. The new Camaro's pricing is so high, I'll definitely be waiting for a refresh for the price to drop, even though I'm eligible for employee pricing. Paying $42K+ for a 6th Gen the way I want it is a bit much. I'm getting closer to discounted Vette pricing than I thought possible...

EDIT - Ok, so not that close to Vette prices. Still, who would have thought a V8 Camaro that was not a special edition approaching $45K...
You're in low mileage c6z price range at that point, and I would take one of those over any camaro. Given certain circumstances of course, mainly related to the head issues.

Would be awesome if you could pick up a base model (terrible radio, crank windows etc) camaro for like 31-34k.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 'WHEELS'
You're in low mileage c6z price range at that point, and I would take one of those over any camaro. Given certain circumstances of course, mainly related to the head issues.

Would be awesome if you could pick up a base model (terrible radio, crank windows etc) camaro for like 31-34k.
The down size to the Vette, for me, is I will need the back seats (even the crappy ones that Camaros have). To be honest, as much as I LOVE the LS7, the more reliable LS3 would have me looking at a C6 GS over the Z06.

I think the days of those bare-bones packages are over. Some auto makers may do it still, but it will typically be on the more entry level vehicles. That said, if I'm buying a new car, I'll be checking off quite a few option boxes. I'm only buying new once (if I do it at all).
Old 10-07-2015, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fspeedster
With more horsepower, I.e. a 2016 camaro

Quick Reply: 2015,year of the mustang