Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

z28 vs gt350 dyno shootout

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Oh for sure. I think the gt350 is a good car. But i don't think they have surpassed that pile of poop 5gen furd guys rag on so bad with it. And as far as I'm concerned matching a 10 yr old engine and chassis is a failure on furds part.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Oh for sure. I think the gt350 is a good car. But i don't think they have surpassed that pile of poop 5gen furd guys rag on so bad with it. And as far as I'm concerned matching a 10 yr old engine and chassis is a failure on furds part.
I completely agree with you. Unfortunately over a year ago when I left the automotive engineering industry there was no 6th gen Z28 in the works. Just a ZL1 which uses the LT4. Although it's a different animal I'd be willing to bet it'll be more than enough for the GT350/R (look at the current CTS-V for evidence)
Old 11-26-2015, 12:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

As far as i can tell yes. Stock for stock the gt350 and z28 are close in the 1/4.

I'm still waiting to see a head to head on these 2 cars. For some reason i feel like that is being avoided.
http://youtu.be/vtdtGgf1BF0

Cliffs notes...the gt350r kicks the z28's **** in every aspect, including track times with Probst behind the wheel.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:42 AM
10 Second Club

Just seen that today. I have a few issues with the vid. For starters pay close attention the shot of the front tires on the z28. It's a MT long term car and do not look fresh. Typically the z28 is not as loose as shown in that vid....another clear sign of worn or at least not optimal tires.

At that track the gt350 beats the ats-v by 6 sec a lap....on a just on a 2 min course. On a 3 min course the z28 beat the ats v by 9 sec at vir for lightning lap. Things that make ypu go hhhhmmm

Another thing that makes you go hhhjmmm is the gt350 had claims of beating the z28 by 5 seconds at the ring....
..even disregarding the rain conditions the z28 ran in that gap should be more than 5 sec according to this test. We would be looking at 6 seconds or more in comparable conditions....not one in rain and one not.

With that said I'll be looking forward to the lightning lap with a gt350 in it or some vir times.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

I agree with some of the issues above^ But I think it still stands that the GT350r is the better car as of right now. Looking forward to seeing what GM responds with in the next year or two.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

Just seen that today. I have a few issues with the vid. For starters pay close attention the shot of the front tires on the z28. It's a MT long term car and do not look fresh. Typically the z28 is not as loose as shown in that vid....another clear sign of worn or at least not optimal tires.

At that track the gt350 beats the ats-v by 6 sec a lap....on a just on a 2 min course. On a 3 min course the z28 beat the ats v by 9 sec at vir for lightning lap. Things that make ypu go hhhhmmm

Another thing that makes you go hhhjmmm is the gt350 had claims of beating the z28 by 5 seconds at the ring....
..even disregarding the rain conditions the z28 ran in that gap should be more than 5 sec according to this test. We would be looking at 6 seconds or more in comparable conditions....not one in rain and one not.

With that said I'll be looking forward to the lightning lap with a gt350 in it or some vir times.
I noticed the same thing on the tires. It looks like the Z28 has been beat hard and neglected. How much or if it influenced the results I dont know.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

Another thing, Didnt they used do the lap times on Laguna Seca?
Old 11-27-2015, 04:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have to ask....but are you 15 years old? You bring up issues of tire wear, but also quote times at tracks that span months apart, on ttacks that Ford does not claim an official time.

The lightning lap.is awesome, but is not usefeul for comparing times year over year, because of how the world works. Anyone with a brain knows this. The best comparison is same day, same track, same driver. If I am not mistaken, Probst is/was a GM driver. The fact the he is so high on the gt350r should let you know something. I promise he has driven the Z28 a ton. I assure you, that the Z28 was a benchnlmark in gt350 development. It was going to get the greenlight if it didnt do the job. I am sure the gt350 performance will be factored in to the next Zl1/z28 if they make another z28. Doubting out of famboyism makes you look less inteligent that usual.

The gt350r is the bechmark for GM camaro development. They will counter, ptobably successfully, evem if it is with crummy propoganda (Ford does not play that game). However, the GT500 is currently in the works, so even if GM covers, they will not be in the clear.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

To many people focus on peak hp. The ls7 has 3000rpm at or above 400ftlb. Pretty damn good for such a simple engine and 10yrs old to boot.
so, according to your logic, the S65B44 and gt3RSR 4.0 are turds on the track.

both have no torque. and are completely non competitive. got it.

its funny that in GT2 racing the porsche and bmw won most of the races.

that is a 4 liter6 and 4 literv8 against a 6 liter LS7R.

Last edited by assasinator; 11-27-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The only advantage the 5.2 has over the ls7 is using the rpm to gain a mechanical leverage.

i am not defending the 5.2.

but mechanical advantage is what it is.

you run a 7 liter LS with the same trans as the 5.2, AND run it with 2.73 gears. run the 5.2 with 3.23 gears.

or take your camaro and switch to 3.08's. mechanical advantage IS something.

mechanical advantage is what makes last gen F1 engines fo fearsome. NO torque. lots of gear and a human cant manage the wheel spin.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:26 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
I have to ask....but are you 15 years old? You bring up issues of tire wear, but also quote times at tracks that span months apart, on ttacks that Ford does not claim an official time.

The lightning lap.is awesome, but is not usefeul for comparing times year over year, because of how the world works. Anyone with a brain knows this. The best comparison is same day, same track, same driver. If I am not mistaken, Probst is/was a GM driver. The fact the he is so high on the gt350r should let you know something. I promise he has driven the Z28 a ton. I assure you, that the Z28 was a benchnlmark in gt350 development. It was going to get the greenlight if it didnt do the job. I am sure the gt350 performance will be factored in to the next Zl1/z28 if they make another z28. Doubting out of famboyism makes you look less inteligent that usual.

The gt350r is the bechmark for GM camaro development. They will counter, ptobably successfully, evem if it is with crummy propoganda (Ford does not play that game). However, the GT500 is currently in the works, so even if GM covers, they will not be in the clear.
I'm far from 15 yrs old......and plenty smart enough to know if furd didn't want that time out there they have plenty enough power to get it off the internet. In case you didn't knotice I'm not the only one that knoticed the **** tires on the camaro......so get off yoyr fanboy *** and open your eyes.

Pobst has drove lots of cars...no big deal. We raced against him in the speed challenge years ago. He drove Audi's then. We were the PTG BMW's.

As long as the track hasn't changed, been repaved and the weather is similar the times will be similar......just the way it is.
Originally Posted by assasinator
so, according to your logic, the S65B44 and gt3RSR 4.0 are turds on the track.

both have no torque. and are completely non competitive. got it.

its funny that in GT2 racing the porsche and bmw won most of the races.

that is a 4 liter6 and 4 literv8 against a 6 liter LS7R.
According to looking at the dyno graph the only place the 5.2 made more of any power or tq was when they turned the ls7 off.

There is another dyno if them out there too. Gt350r made 469. Z28 made 471.....jus saying.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

I wonder how the GT350 fan club would feel if the reviewer ragged on the GT350 the entire time with the only exception being the engine - and then went on the make a further derogatory statement by purposely placing a redneck appearing, mullet wearing, imbecile with empty pop cans in the GT350 for the drag race.

That was a terrible review. I got the most from Randy though, and yes the GT350R appears to be a great car (I've said this from the beginning before you fanboys get your panties in a twist). I would be embarrassed if I was Ford though, for claiming over 20 more hp, and not showing it on the dyno. And can we be honest, the GT350R BETTER have beaten it's benchmark - can you imagine how the internet would blow up if it didn't?

Agreed on tire wear for the Z/28 as well. Both cars perform and sound great.
GM - the ball is now in your court...
Old 11-27-2015, 09:58 AM
10 Second Club

I can't say i mind the whole mullet thing? How many **** have you ever seen wearing a mullet ? They might be with a fat chick but you know they're not queer

That can't be said for the stang boyz
Old 11-27-2015, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

According to looking at the dyno graph the only place the 5.2 made more of any power or tq was when they turned the ls7 off.

There is another dyno if them out there too. Gt350r made 469. Z28 made 471.....jus saying.
so?
gt350?

you quoted the part of the comment about a Porsche and Bmw. what does the gt350 have to do with that?

IMO the ls7 in the z28 is underrated. revised parts/tuning increased its output. with a pig heavy car they had to.

most stock dyno results for LS7 corvettes place them in the 430-450 rwhp range when new stock.

471 for the gt350 is decent. in 20k miles it will have another 10-20 rwhp.

desert track.

http://www.mustang6g.com/?p=7930

thats about 4 tracks now that the gt350r wins. real laps.

Last edited by assasinator; 11-27-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.mustang6g.com/?p=7877

PICKED UP 14RWHP FROM TUNE ONLY.

E85 AND TUNE ONLY....FROM A BASE OF 442.

ON A MUSTANG DYNO
Old 11-27-2015, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that is a comparison from a biased reviewer, it also is GT350 (R)
where as that is not the Z28 (R)

but hey if it takes the race version to beat the regular version its doing its job i guess.

Professional > college this is a duh moment

by 1.2 seconds JEEEEEZZZZ

i would also like to see who wins more consecutive laps
Old 11-27-2015, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mappinsj
that is a comparison from a biased reviewer, it also is GT350 (R)
where as that is not the Z28 (R)

but hey if it takes the race version to beat the regular version its doing its job i guess.

Professional > college this is a duh moment

by 1.2 seconds JEEEEEZZZZ

i would also like to see who wins more consecutive laps
lol you moron. where do people like you come from lol.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:32 AM
10 Second Club

so?
gt350?

you quoted the part of the comment about a Porsche and Bmw. what does the gt350 have to do with that?

IMO the ls7 in the z28 is underrated. revised parts/tuning increased its output. with a pig heavy car they had to.

most stock dyno results for LS7 corvettes place them in the 430-450 rwhp range when new stock.

471 for the gt350 is decent. in 20k miles it will have another 10-20 rwhp.

desert track.

http://www.mustang6g.com/?p=7930

thats about 4 tracks now that the gt350r wins. real laps.
http://www.mustang6g.com/?p=7877

PICKED UP 14RWHP FROM TUNE ONLY.

E85 AND TUNE ONLY....FROM A BASE OF 442.

ON A MUSTANG DYNO
What does modding the gt350 have to do with this???

Do you think the ls7 is stuck at the power it made???

Where do you get 4 tracks from??? You realize the 10yr old chassis and motor was 1.16 sec behind right??? Replacing those beat tires on the camaro could easily make that up and then some.

Does any of those ****** furds do anything with out e85??? You know when a engine picks up power because of the fuel that power increase is attributed to the FUEL and not the engine.

Btw....there have been many l7s in the 460 range over the years. Any power increase you think this one has is likely due to eps......you know that little gizmo that turns your front tires directionally and has been inflating the 5br0s dyno numbers for years.

Last edited by HioSSilver; 11-27-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What does modding the gt350 have to do with this???

Do you think the ls7 is stuck at the power it made???

Where do you get 4 tracks from??? You realize the 10yr old chassis and motor was 1.16 sec behind right??? Replacing those beat tires on the camaro could easily make that up and then some.

Does any of those ****** furds do anything with out e85??? You know when a engine picks up power because of the fuel that power increase is attributed to the FUEL and not the engine.

Btw....there have been many l7s in the 460 range over the years. Any power increase you think this one has is likely due to eps......you know that little gizmo that turns your front tires directionally and has been inflating the 5br0s dyno numbers for years.

i feel your anger swelling....

now a 2010 chasis is 10 years old. lol.

you said inflating....

Last edited by assasinator; 11-27-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be fair, the platform existed before the 5th gen already. (first car in 2006, R&D started '99)

Quick Reply: z28 vs gt350 dyno shootout