Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2005 Mustang Sales report.... Sticker too much to pay?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 02:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinkaze

Keep in mind too that

EVO = Mercedes/Chrysler
STi = GM

-Adam, rambling incoherent fool
Yah umm, that's some incoherent rambling going on right there with that statement. The fact that Daimler-Chrysler owns a good chunk of Mitsubishi Motors and GM 20% of Fuji Heavy Industries does NOT mean that the Evo and the Rex are products of either of these companies. Sorry but it sounds to me like you're just trying to pass these two awesome Japanese products off as American built which is totally whack. The Saab 9-2x is a Subaru, it's not the other way around (i.e. the Rex is a product of Saab) and IIRC the Evo is completely exclusive to Mitsubishi. I don't see any AWD 4G63 powered Chryslers or Dodges running around. You never would have called the Evo and WRX products of DC and GM if they weren't sold here now would you? And before someone brings it up, the Mazdaspeed 6 is NOT a Ford either. Ford is using the 6 platform and the 2.3L 4 banger which are Mazda designs in Ford/Lincoln/Mercury products, NOT the other way around.

The Evo and WRX have been around for years and each of these two 4 door bad asses is pure 4 banger Japanese sweetness born from experience through WRC. I didn't see anyone referring to the then JDM/Europe/Aussie only WRX and Evo as "American" 5 years ago. The WRX is about as much a GM product as the Aston Martin DB9 is a Ford. In fact the WRX is probably LESS of a GM product than the DB9 since Astons share some switchgear with their lesser Ford siblings.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:54 AM
MSI
Teching In

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
Even the Thunderbird Sold, but after a year on the market it started to tank out. The discouraging thing is there are already discounts on this car a month out of the gate. Conversly the Thunderbird didn't have a simialr experience. I have little doubt Ford will sell 10x more Mustangs than Pontiac will sell GTO's, but the real tell will be if it sells as well as planned, because I'm sure GM is using this car as a market indicator for how well a Camaro will do. (And yes I do believe GM will bring the Camaro back, I'm just saying that how well the Mustang does this year will imapct how and in what direction GM takes the car).

-Adam
With specific reference to the Autoweek article, the cars they compare the Mustang to sales-wise were either totally new cars or cars that had been gone for some time and came back. Demand probably would be higher for those cars. The Mustang has been around since 1964 and the market has been flooded with them since then. As much as I love Mustangs, there is no way I would pay OVER sticker for one. I don't understand why this seems to be hard for Autoweek to grasp and I think they are REALLY blowing that out of proportion because the "discounts" they talk about are like a few hundred dollars, and once again I've yet to see those discounts anywhere. Just look at how fast they are flying off of dealership lots. If one stays on a lot more than a day it is a surprise.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

i think the mustang will out sell the gto. so what the gto has 50hp more then the mustang i think the gto look's like ****! i look at it like this when the gto first came out i didn't see that many on the road and i will go out on the lim with it and say the mustang look's better! and remember hp is not going to win the game just ask gm!
Old 11-23-2004, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
Yah umm, that's some incoherent rambling going on right there with that statement. The fact that Daimler-Chrysler owns a good chunk of Mitsubishi Motors and GM 20% of Fuji Heavy Industries does NOT mean that the Evo and the Rex are products of either of these companies.
GM is a Majority Shared holder of Subaru. That is, while they do not own 50.01% they are the largest single shared holder and as such the board of directors is largely their's to control. That said GM wisely does not want to associate Subaru with their domestic lines, because it's the fact Subaru *is* Japanese and not "American" that they can be marketed as an import. To many consumers *this is important*. Many import buyers "would never consider American or hold an Import product in higher regard" (to quote the Detroit Auto news), and GM as a wise owner disasociates it's brand as such.

Sorry but it sounds to me like you're just trying to pass these two awesome Japanese products off as American built which is totally whack.
I agree it would be if I was, but that is not my intention. No, I was pointing out that GM as an international company based in America does own a performance offering in one of their international subsidiares/partners that fits the need that I mentioned.

The Saab 9-2x is a Subaru, it's not the other way around (i.e. the Rex is a product of Saab) and IIRC the Evo is completely exclusive to Mitsubishi. I don't see any AWD 4G63 powered Chryslers or Dodges running around. You never would have called the Evo and WRX products of DC and GM if they weren't sold here now would you?
GM doesn't want you to think of Subaru as a GM product no more than Ford wants you to think of Aston Martin as a Ford product. In the last 15 years GM has *FINALLY* come to understand the improtance of Brands and keeping Brands strong.

And before someone brings it up, the Mazdaspeed 6 is NOT a Ford either. Ford is using the 6 platform and the 2.3L 4 banger which are Mazda designs in Ford/Lincoln/Mercury products, NOT the other way around.
Mazda is a wholley owned Ford Subsidiary just as Ford Cars, Lincoln and Mercury are.

The Evo and WRX have been around for years and each of these two 4 door bad asses is pure 4 banger Japanese sweetness born from experience through WRC. I didn't see anyone referring to the then JDM/Europe/Aussie only WRX and Evo as "American" 5 years ago.
That's like saying that Jeep isn't a Daimler Chrysler, it's actually an American Motors car because it was that first.

Sure the WRC cars were designed by Japanese Engineers in Japanese companies that just happen to be largely owned by American Companies.

Take it to another level, Matsushita Panasonic is an American Company that happens to be 100% owned by Panasonic Corporation. Does that make Matsushita Panasonic an American Company or a Japanese Company? Neither it makes Matsushita an American Subsidiary of an International Conglomerate based in Japan. If that makes Matsushita a Japanese company, then that makes Mazda an American company.

-Adam
Old 11-23-2004, 06:12 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm going to need to further my education in order to keep up
Old 11-26-2004, 05:41 PM
12 Second Club

We are selling them for sticker like hot cakes. I ordered one for a customer a couple weeks ago, and we have 7 or so other orders in the ordering bank right now.

We are ordering them like crazy because most of the other dealers in the area are selling in stock units for $2k to $7k over sticker... Here's one:

http://luxurymotors.com/inventory_de...ype=&ob=&desc=

Ford has discounted the **** out of everything for the last few years so people expect a discount...

One dude was like "I'll never pay sticker for a Mustang."

I told him, "No problem, I can sell you a Taurus or a Focus for invoice- sound good?"

He didn't think it was as funny as I did... Too bad.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:37 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02ls1ss
i think the mustang will out sell the gto. so what the gto has 50hp more then the mustang i think the gto look's like ****! i look at it like this when the gto first came out i didn't see that many on the road and i will go out on the lim with it and say the mustang look's better! and remember hp is not going to win the game just ask gm!
That will be pretty easy to do since GTO is limited to about 18,000 a year and mustang is making over 150,000 a year.

I just read recently in Automotive News that GTO's production is being cut by 30% due to poor sales.

Here is a funny part.

Dealers complain that the sticker price is too high.

So if they thought it was too high why did they try to sell it for way over sticker? What a bunch of gready dumbasses those dealers are.

I'm really looking forward to when the GTO switches to the Zeta platform in 07 or 08. Hopefully, Chevy will have something cheaper based on the same platform.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

Some dealers are greedy and don't care about repeat business- mine does.

The basic principles of supply and demand dictate that kind of pricing. A car is worth what someone is willing to pay. You wanna have it before anyone else? You are gonna pay for that luxury.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:53 PM

The car is still an under achiever. 266 rwhp and 14.19 in the 1/4 :9 and the retro gagues suck.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:16 PM
12 Second Club

Where else you gonna get 266 rwhp for $25k? Btw, 0-60 in 5.2 and 13.9 stock ain't too bad.

The car is still an under achiever. 266 rwhp and 14.19 in the 1/4 :9
That's like me saying that your car is an under achiever because mine is just as fast without headers or tuning, with stock TB and my power-robbing Lingenfelter intake. I'll trade my manifolds for your headers if you want, my manifolds are HI-PO! Just kidding.

and the retro gagues suck.
Have you seen them in person?

Quick Reply: 2005 Mustang Sales report.... Sticker too much to pay?