Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Buick Lucerne

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Buick Lucerne

fromthe Car Connection

Are these pictures worth enough to some General Motors engineers to have the local police department intervene? You bet they are! Twenty-four hours after these photographs were taken, our brave and dedicated photographer was pulled over by the local cops, at which time the officer turned around and gave a "thumbs up" to the worried engineers across the street. Apparently they had concerns that we were stalking them!

But truth be told, it was obvious that we were after this first glimpse of the new Buick Lucerne. Codenamed GMX222, the LeSabre replacement will restyled and re-engineered, and likely to reach dealerships in late 2005 as a 2006 model. The front-wheel-drive sedan will move up a notch with Buick amenities to fill the gap to be left by the Park Avenue. LeSabre sales may even continue for a short a while after the Lucerne is launched, adding an even more upscale lure to the eventual replacement.

The Lucerne will be offered with a V-6, or with an optional and quicker 5.3-liter V-8 re-engineered by GM for front-drive use. A six-speed automatic is also expected to be available.

One thing the camouflage may conceal is traditional portholes in the front fenders - three for the V-6 and four for the V-8.

Source:TCC

http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...&sid=178&n=158

-Adam
Old 12-17-2004, 01:19 AM
TECH Resident

Wow, Buick really is targeting a slightly younger demographic. you'd have to contort yourself pretty good to get into the front passenger seat.

On a more serious note, a 6 speed automatic is good news. I'm guessing this thing will be powered by the Global HF 3.6L DOHC V6 in addition to the aforementioned 5.3L (probably LS4) V8 which means that the 6 speeder is probably the one co-developed with Ford. Hopefully this tranny will find its way into other current GM FWD semi Hi-Po vehicles in a year or two like the Grand Prix GXP, Bonneville GXP, Impala SS, Monte Carlo SS and the DeVille DTS. While its speculated that the majority of the cars mentioned will be going RWD with Zeta underpinnings, a 6 speed for the time being couldn't hurt. Unfortunately I believe this tranny was developed for FWD and FWD biased AWD applications only meaning that a whole new trans will have to be developed for GMs truck lineup. Despite their beefiness, reliability, simplicity and their ability to be easily modified, GMs 4 speed hydra-matic transmissions need another ratio, two more wouldn't hurt. k, rant over.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:40 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The wheels remind me of the Chrysler Concorde. Wild-looking door handles....
Old 12-17-2004, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
The wheels remind me of the Chrysler Concorde. Wild-looking door handles....
Nah... the gas-cap is the wild looking thing... I want mine in Suede
Old 12-17-2004, 09:25 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
Nah... the gas-cap is the wild looking thing... I want mine in Suede
At least when you caught and ripped the velcro gas door off it wouldn't do as much damage as when I ripped the gas door off my Firebird last Winter ....stupid shrub
Old 12-17-2004, 04:38 PM
TECH Veteran

They lost me at FWD, but the interior doesn't look half bad. The Zeta Roadmaster can't come soon enough.

Quick Reply: Buick Lucerne