Ingolstadt Does A Two Door Coupe: Meet The Audi A5/S5

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ingolstadt Does A Two Door Coupe: Meet The Audi A5/S5

Audi A5: http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/20/meet-the-audi-a5/

Audi S5: http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/20/a...ked-a5-images/

Mmmmm. Well I liked the Nuvolari Concept from a few years back so I can't say I'm disappointed nor surprised by the looks of the production A5. Expect Audi's corporate 255hp 3.2L FSI V6 in the A5 and the 340hp 4.2L V8 from the S4 to find a home in the S5. It would also make sense to assume that the 414hp V8 from the RS4 and the recently introduced R8 will find a home under the hood of an RS5 sometime within the next year or two. An A5/S5/RS5 Cabriolet will also replace the current A4/S4/RS4 Cabriolets in Audi's lineup.

The A5/S5 is also the first VAG vehicle built with a longitudinally mounted engine that's available with the company's 6-speed S-Tronic (DSG) Gearbox developed by BorgWarner. This transmission had previously been restricted to VAG cars with transversely mounted motors such as the GTI, Passat, A3, TT, Altea, Leon etc... for packaging reasons. The car is still available with a traditional 6 speed clutch and stick manual for traditionalists and AWD will be available across the range. I assume the CVT mentioned in the release is for FWD A5s as this is the case with several current FWD Audi models.

Pricing hasn't been announced yet but the A5/S5 is supposedly a 3-Series fighter although the Nuvolari concept from what I can recall was a pretty decently sized car. I'm not sure if this thing will priced to compete directly with the 3-Series or slightly above the 3er but below that of the 6-Series. All in all I'm a fan of Audi's current design philosophy so I'm definitely digging the looks of the A5. I especially like the LED DRL strips in the headlight clusters. Kudos to Audi for hitting another homerun out of the park.

*In case you're wondering about the obnoxiously low redline, the A5 pictured below is a diesel 3.0 TDI model. It's currently unknown as to whether or not Audi will bring a diesel powered A5 stateside.

2008 Audi A5:

2008 Audi S5:

Old 03-11-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im an audi FREAK i have a tt, planning on buying an S4, and i deffinately favor the r8 over most exotics. But this is one car i wish would vanish. Its ugly and pointless. They should take this car and cash it into the q7 and build more r8's, a new model sr8, and hurry up with the stt. Or whatever they decided to call it. BUt i do like the interior.

Quick Reply: Ingolstadt Does A Two Door Coupe: Meet The Audi A5/S5