Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Finally had enough of the Bose subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally had enough of the Bose subwoofer

So I picked up an Alpine type R 12" sub and a JBL 600.1 amp. Had it installed this morning and love it! Man I forgot what real bass sounded like. The sub is secured and easily removable.

I had them install a bass **** under the dash so I can adjust the bass. All the way down and its just like stock, half way and it sounds perfect. All the way up and it BUMPS. I keep it at a quarter to half. It really fills out the sound.

I'm really starting to like my car again!

Old 09-11-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice...i will be doing this soon.

but i will more then like take the Rockford P3 and Alpine Amp that are in my truck and put them in the back of the V. or i may just get a newer, better sub for the V.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How was it hooked into the factory Bose?
Old 09-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FRiCK
How was it hooked into the factory Bose?
Agreed. Please dont leave us hangin.

Ben
Old 09-12-2010, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bnagel
Agreed. Please dont leave us hangin.

Ben
I'm curious too. I used to build and sell sound systems to get through college, but never worked on anything that had the factory sound system so integrated into to the rest of the car like these and most cars are nowadays.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to find a wiring diagram to the factory stereo/amplifier and figure out how to hook up my punch 150 and a small subwoofer. The only thing is I'd have to run a level adapter for the rca's. The hardest part I ran into on doing this on my Jeep (factory infinity system) ws getting a 12 vdc 'switch'...All the lines going to the amplifier were 6 vdc (except the main power). I was going to hook up a 6 v to 12 v relay, but ended up just pulling the 12 v 'switch' off accessory power and a manual switch to bypass. I didn't like it, but was the only way with my amp. I have a feeling the bose is setup similar, as far as its 'switch' to turn on the amp. However, without a connector diagram, etc. I'm just guessing. The way I did it on the Jeep was with a meter, to see what signals were what (beyond the speaker out). The nice thing about newer amps is they don't have a separate 12 v 'switch' and instead turn on when it 'sees' a speaker signal, if that makes sense.

The best way would be with one of those JBL (?) deals where it takes all the factory wiring harnesses and such and gives you RCA and such. But, $$$.

Anyhow, I like the subbox and stuff, but how big is the factory subwoofer and would a free-air work with our big trunks (volume). I don't want to cut up the rear shelf, but at the same time would like a decent subwoofer there.

But yeah, we need better bass and the XM sucks caca for its frequency quality (hear you can pay extra, but WTF)...When it came out, CD quality, but now the greedy fauks give you barely FM quality now
Old 09-12-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...eep/index.html
Old 09-12-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry guys, I don't know the specifics. I know he had to run the power from the battery, and he used the factory sub/amp to get the signal for the new sub.

Wires and parts ended up being around $150 and labor was $150. It took them about an hour and a half to do the full instal.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

That price doesn't sound bad at all!
Old 09-12-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL i just put in the new model Alpine Type R 10" in a selaed box with an Alpine 500 watt amp. Mounted in the exact same spots.

To connect the factory bose amp to the alpine amp you slice a line out converter into the wires going to the factory amp. My alpine amp came with the plug in, if you dont you have to splice into the back of the head unit. I couldnt be happier with my setup.

I went with the 10" because i wanted more factory sounding bass and 10s in a sealed box are about as precise and accurate as bass you can get. The 12s start to get bumpier and dont sound as factory. Its all in what sound you want though.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

im looking for a little more bump also! hmm might have to look into this kind of setup! nothing crazy.. just something to bump my SOJA to!
Old 09-13-2010, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you want some bump in the trunk...

kicker 15 solbera...JL WS7...Rockford P3

i have a P3 10" with an Alpine 500, and it hits HARD. most people think i am running a dual 10 or a nice 12.

like what itsslow said, 10s will have a cleaner sound. which is why that is what i will be going with. i dont listen to a lot of music with bump, so i want better note quality.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:34 AM
On The Tree

If you wanna keep your trunk and also save some weight from the heavy enclosure box, buy one 10" Kicker Comp or Infinity Kappa Perfect 10". They are some of the few free-air rated subs left on the market. Also for more response out of the sub, dynamat the whole rear deck and get an XTC 10" foam baffle from crutchfield or ebay.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

What is everyone running for the door and tweeter replacements. I'm shopping. I'm currently looking at the Infinity Kappa's(52.9i, 63.9i), but is there room for the crossover dongle?
Old 09-13-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerFiend
What is everyone running for the door and tweeter replacements. I'm shopping. I'm currently looking at the Infinity Kappa's(52.9i, 63.9i), but is there room for the crossover dongle?
From what Ive heard you have to be careful running aftermarket component speakers since our head unit only outputs at 2 ohms and all the new speakers run at 4 ohms. This is what I was told when i was thinking about redoing the whole system and keeping the stock headd unit, im considering ditching the factory unit when i get the money for a nice 7' display.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by itsslow98
From what Ive heard you have to be careful running aftermarket component speakers since our head unit only outputs at 2 ohms and all the new speakers run at 4 ohms. This is what I was told when i was thinking about redoing the whole system and keeping the stock headd unit, im considering ditching the factory unit when i get the money for a nice 7' display.
Yeah Slow is right. I went with 2ohm infinities for the doors. 4 ohm'ers wont get as loud off the factory amp and maybe give it fits as well. As for the crossovers, theres plenty of room to get creative tucking, taping, or dynamatting somewhere.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 4doorvetteLV
Yeah Slow is right. I went with 2ohm infinities for the doors. 4 ohm'ers wont get as loud off the factory amp and maybe give it fits as well. As for the crossovers, theres plenty of room to get creative tucking, taping, or dynamatting somewhere.
But where were yours measured at 2ohm? The Kappa's state the following:
True Four Ohm Impedance technology: speaker's 2-ohm impedance combines with speaker wire impedance for a 4-ohm load
Old 09-15-2010, 05:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you wanna keep your trunk and also save some weight from the heavy enclosure box, buy one 10" Kicker Comp or Infinity Kappa Perfect 10". They are some of the few free-air rated subs left on the market. Also for more response out of the sub, dynamat the whole rear deck and get an XTC 10" foam baffle from crutchfield or ebay.
ya, I was looking at a lot of things to save on space, I ended up getting a Pioneer "thin sub" I think it turned out pretty good, you cant even see the sub/box when standing over the trunk, you have to kneel down and look up. I removed the stock sub, and put this one in its place instead

Old 09-15-2010, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Thought about the slim Pioneer too. Price was almost double that of the Kicker comps and I'd never heard a slim sub. I fear change lol. Definetely like the extreme slealth of your pioneer.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

What's the foam baffle do? is it an attempt to make a small enclosure for it? I would assume an appropriate free-air sub would sound pretty good on our rear deck... probably not as strong as in a sealed box, but its gotta bump louder than stock right?

Quick Reply: Finally had enough of the Bose subwoofer