Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Cam sensor issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam sensor issue

I'm helpin my friends girl out on her 04 cts-v. Dealer said the cam has moved and want to charge an arm and a leg to get into it just to diagnose it. It has a cam sensor code stored and we replace the sensor... Ran fine for a few mins, fired right up a few times the it went back to takin a min to start and a slight rough idle. They had just bought the car and all this started happening when the harmonic balancer backed off! Yes I said backed off! Lol well turns out he had made a few 1/8 mile passes with it a day or two before that. He told me he was gettin a lot of wheel hop when he was launching.

Anyone have any ideas before I take the timing cover off and check to see the cam bolts are tight? Any and all help is greatly appreciated
Old 10-11-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealer said the cam has moved
Not likely unless the key sheared on the oil pump drive/crank gear. In case of a complete shear, it most likely wouldn't start and even if it did, your oil pressure would be gone. If anything has moved, it is likely the reluctor wheel on the crank.

Anyone have any ideas before I take the timing cover off and check to see the cam bolts are tight?
Try a crank relearn first.

Last edited by scatillac; 10-11-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

Tried to do a crank relearn but the shop scan tool didn't have it for this one... I have done sevral crank relearns on other gm vehicles and that was the first thing I tried! But no go... What does the cam sensor read? I thought the reflector on the cam was cast into it?
Old 10-13-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1sicklsx
What does the cam sensor read? I thought the reluctor on the cam was cast into it?
On the Gen 3 (24x/1x), it's an eccentric that is cast/machined into the rear of the camshaft (long sensor in upper rear of the case).

On the later stuff (58x/4x & 2x), it's machined into the timing gear (sensor on the front cover).

If the motor hasn't been disassembled, I still can't figure out how this "Dealer said the cam has moved " would happen. That much slack in the chain is difficult to fathom and the cam pin takes most of the shear load between the cam & timing gear.

Have you checked the cam sensor connector integrity?
Old 10-14-2010, 02:22 AM
Staging Lane

Well got into it tonight... The cam bolts had backed off 1/4in. No damage was seen so I cleaned it all up and locktited the bolts put it all back together and problem solved... Just wondering how the bolts could have backed out??? But yeah dealer was right, they just saved them a lot of cash by lettin me do it
Old 10-14-2010, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Filet of Crow

Originally Posted by 1sicklsx
Well got into it tonight... The cam bolts had backed off 1/4in.
In my 48 years of experience, I've never seen that happen!!

But yeah, dealer was right, they just saved them a lot of cash by lettin me do it
I prefer Tabasco sauce with my crow.........

Quick Reply: Cam sensor issue