Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Sunroof part duex..parts available or whole thing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sunroof part duex..parts available or whole thing?

Well, good news bad news on the sunroof fiasco...

Good news is I now know how to get it adjusted just right and it's in a nice position and we'll see about the wind noise in the morning.

Bad news is I figured out why it wasn't operating properly...a bracket assembly piece that pulls and rotates the glass upward, broke. So, there are three options now:

1) Buy a complete sunroof assembly and replace; rather not go this route for several reasons and what a waste being everything else is fine.

or

2) Does GM sell the individual pieces or sub-assemblies of the sunroof, does anybody know? I was thinking of sourcing the pass. side rail assy., but noticed some rivets and I'd rather keep this oem/orig as possible and so this makes me think it's designed as a full assembly to be bolted in (sort of).

or

3) I can make and/or modify a replacement 'bracket', but I have no idea how this piece can be installed, being I can only see so much. The plastic piece that broke has the one end that goes around a metal rod (allowing the bracket to rotate around the axis or be pulled by [whatever that piece is called], moving the glass inside...I know pictures would explain much better, but slipped my mind to snap some at the time and it'll be a little while til I get another chance, ugh...Anyhow, hopefully it makes some sense though. The issue here is how to get the piece around the rod without knowing how that piece works. I doubt the FSM goes into that sort of detail, but if somebody had that sort of info that'd be great. Perhaps something like an exploded assembly view containing part numbers, etc.

In the meantime, I just disabled it (see side note) and exploring my options. I'd prefer oem approach on this car if I can get a bracket and figure out a way of replacing on car (if even possible), but open to other ideas as well [especially if this is a weakpoint sort of thing]

As a side note, fwiw - when removing the sunroof relay from the rear pasenger fusebox, the express window up on the driver's seems to not work and I get a service airbag soon message; something tied together and doubt it'll effect anything else I hope, other than being an annoyance. The way they tie the electronics together these days is odd; could you imagine if this was a german car, lol (keeps me away)

Sorry so lengthy, but ugh to these little things when they happen

Last edited by JNR_Design; 11-14-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try looking on GM parts giant dot com or call Luke at Lindsay Cadillac in Alexandria, VA and he'll be able to hook you up with odd parts from the factory...
Old 11-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out this link http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pro...exID=6D1204502

It looks like you'll need tp get the frame for $198...
Old 11-15-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the links. Good info to get an idea of what parts are available.

Ugh, so yeah it looks like I'd have to buy an entire assembly for one broken piece. Oh well, I think I'm just gonna save the $ and make a new bracket. The hard part (timewise) will be trying to figure out how to install it onto that actuator piece (around the rod), but hoping it'll be possible, cause darn it to spending $200 (say $100 used) and the time to replace it all. However, I have a feeling that it will not be so easy without removing that assembly anyway, so maybe that's gonna have to be the way it's gotta be done. darn it. Maybe I can build around the rod with epoxy or something, but damn these short days, haha.

Thanks for the info, at any rate!

Quick Reply: Sunroof part duex..parts available or whole thing?