Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak

Hey guys. I have a 05 cts-v.

Last night was driving around and car started leaking coolant.

Seems like its coming out of the bottom of the radiator but not quite sure.

Any problematic spots with these setups that I should check before taking it to the shop? Loose hoses?

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's common for these radiators to fail at the plastic end tanks. Of course you should always check your hoses first, but chances are you'll need a radiator. There is a small company called alradco that makes a custom aftermarket setup that's all metal and will likely last the life of the vehicle, however they're a little more expensive than some of the stock replacements available.

Creative steel has a replacement radiator in the $2xx range and I believe the alradco radiator is about $500. Both are drop-in replacements.

Last edited by BudRacing; 12-21-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:33 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The OE radiators have a history of leaking the the tanks (top and bottom). There are a few performance replacement options available but are nearly $700. The commonly available replacements have proven quite reliable however.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$6 for a bottle of stop leak and that was about 90,000 miles and two full years ago. Mine was leaking about 1/2 gallon a week at that point. People say that it's bad for the car and bla bla bla....Well I threw caution to the wind and dumped it in. Haven't had an issue or another leak since. Just my .02
Old 12-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
It's common for these radiators to fail at the plastic end tanks. Of course you should always check your hoses first, but chances are you'll need a radiator. There is a small company called allradco that makes a custom aftermarket setup that's all metal and will likely last the life of the vehicle, however they're a little more expensive than some of the stock replacements available.

Creative steel has a replacement radiator in the $2xx range and I believe the allradco radiator is about $500. Both are drop-in replacements.
Here is some info on the ALRADCO below. Great radiators! If at all possible I will not run another radiator that has plastic and aluminum. They always seem to leak at the seams. I had one in the Cad; leaked. Had one in my Powerstroke diesel truck; leaked. Had one in my Grand National; leaked. Got an ALRADCO radiator in the GN and Cad, and sold the Powerstroke so now I am good.

The way I see it, these cars are too nice to cheap out like I have in the past on other vehicles. They deserve quality parts, even if I have to save a little longer or spend a little more. Bud is right, these rads will outlast the cars!

Quick Reply: Coolant leak