Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Axle seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Axle seal replacement

Just noticed the driver side axle seal is seeping. The side of the diff is dirty and the axle has a light coating. Is there a DIY for the procedure ? I did not find anything from a search.

Thans
Old 01-13-2012, 01:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

search for how to install the anti-hop axles, that will get you 99% of the way there, the rest is a seal replacement. (i have not personally replaced this seal, so it may be something special, but i doubt it)
Old 01-13-2012, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
search for how to install the anti-hop axles, that will get you 99% of the way there, the rest is a seal replacement. (i have not personally replaced this seal, so it may be something special, but i doubt it)
Thanks. I will probably wait until I do the axles so I have it apart just once.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmargo
Thanks. I will probably wait until I do the axles so I have it apart just once.
thats what i would do.. just pull the axle and use a small pry bar to pop the seal out.. when putting the new one in ,use a piece of 2x4 and tap it into the diff case. but remember to put some grease on the stub where the seal will ride to help it seal all the way
Old 01-14-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
thats what i would do.. just pull the axle and use a small pry bar to pop the seal out.. when putting the new one in ,use a piece of 2x4 and tap it into the diff case. but remember to put some grease on the stub where the seal will ride to help it seal all the way
Looks like the seals are about 20ish a side. I'm thinking I might as well do both while i'm in there. Heck might as well pull the diff and do the front bushing also. So many "while i'm there" items.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

the pinion seal was a recall so if the dealer runs your VIN and its never been done, they'll do it for free...I just did my axle seals 2 weeks ago and couldnt wait till i got the hendrix axles cus with the diff, there is no way of checking the fluid level w/o filling it till fluid comes up. Last thing you want is to run low fluid in an already prone to damage diff that we have in our cars. I say just do em and have some peace of mind until you do axles.

Quick Reply: Axle seal replacement