Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

We have a first gen V in the shop today!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 01:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We have a first gen V in the shop today!

It's getting a full Stainless Works exhaust and we hope to be able to get a video for you guys

-Jason
Attached Thumbnails We have a first gen V in the shop today!-20121022_115335.jpg  
Old 10-22-2012, 01:17 PM
FormerVendor

Quick product pics and info

Stainless Works Dyno Results

Old 10-22-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id be interested in a 1 7/8 primaries and 3 in from the collector back. only thing that gets me with aftermarkets exhausts is drone..will your mufflers be drone free?
Old 10-22-2012, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

Oooo those are perrrdy.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
id be interested in a 1 7/8 primaries and 3 in from the collector back. only thing that gets me with aftermarkets exhausts is drone..will your mufflers be drone free?
Amen. I had a set of magnaflows on another car of mine, and while it sounded great getting on it, it droned HORRIBLE from 1k-2k rpm.

I'd like to see how these end up too in the drone-factor.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Guys, the "Magnaflow drone" is caused by excitation of the spare tire tub. It's like a gigantic drum placed between the mufflers that resonates at approximately 1800 RPM/2*8=7200 Hz (see Youtube link below for a sound sample). You can get rid of the resonance by applying a damper layer to the tub. If you really want to quiet down the car, well--I'm still trying to get around to doing a writeup. Suffice it to say that it's a $600, 45 pound mod involving spot damper+MLV treatments of the trunk, back seat, and the air gap in the trunk lid.

By the way, sorry about the weird, new-age crap subject on the Youtube link. I searched for a 7 Hz tone and that's what came up first. The quality was solid, so I figured what the heck.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 10-22-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

Another way that helped eliminate the drone in my car was. I laid 2 thin old bath towel in the spare tire space, and put the spare face down, then put the cover on as tight as I could. It didn't completely take all the drone away but it help a pretty decent bit.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:17 AM
Staging Lane

Nice klad people found a trick to get rid of the drone. I been looking at used ctsvs and noticed quite a few with diamond mat and no stereo guess this is y
Old 10-23-2012, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

iam curious to see why corsa doesnt drone then? i have corsa and kooks, and no drone whats so ever.
i do like the sound of the stainless works system alot, if my car wasnt a daily i would have went that route
Old 10-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cammedv
iam curious to see why corsa doesnt drone then? i have corsa and kooks, and no drone whats so ever.
i do like the sound of the stainless works system alot, if my car wasnt a daily i would have went that route
Do you have any vids? I'm considering going this route.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

sorry to hijack, but yea this is kooks and corsa, its a aquired sound, but i like it, and like i said no drone what so ever.
i also have drive by videos on my channel as well if you look through it, some light crusing drviebys, and a heavy throttle pass.
stainless works has more of a rumble and even tone, sounds a bit nicer but there will be drone.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltNsY5o26R0

sounds even better now with the off road pipes
Old 10-23-2012, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

sounds great, where did you get the pod for the column.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The fundamental frequency (where the majority of the acoustic energy is located) of a V8 engine will always be at (RPM/2)*8 Hz. Therefore, every exhaust will produce a 7 kHz tone at about 1800 RPM, but that doesn't mean that the tone will be strong enough to excite the 7 kHz resonance of the spare tire tub. There are significant losses involved in the transfer of energy that have to be overcome before the tub will begin resonating.

The Magnaflow catback may be merely louder than the Corsa across the board, but it is more likely that the length and diameter of the piping and the construction of the mufflers has resulted in a greater frequency response than a Corsa catback at about 7 kHz, and that that is enough to excite the spare tire tub nicely.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds great, where did you get the pod for the column.
its real easy to make in a weekend

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-trim-diy.html
Old 06-23-2013, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
The fundamental frequency (where the majority of the acoustic energy is located) of a V8 engine will always be at (RPM/2)*8 Hz. Therefore, every exhaust will produce a 7 kHz tone at about 1800 RPM, but that doesn't mean that the tone will be strong enough to excite the 7 kHz resonance of the spare tire tub. There are significant losses involved in the transfer of energy that have to be overcome before the tub will begin resonating.

The Magnaflow catback may be merely louder than the Corsa across the board, but it is more likely that the length and diameter of the piping and the construction of the mufflers has resulted in a greater frequency response than a Corsa catback at about 7 kHz, and that that is enough to excite the spare tire tub nicely.
Pretty sure you do vibration analysis like I do
Old 06-23-2013, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In this thread, I explain the reasons for drone, and the reason that Corsa does not drone (with pics). Corsa mufflers have built-in anti-resonance chambers across a wide range of frequencies. This is what results in the very crisp sound that some love and others don't:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ltz-tubes.html

I also explain how I got rid of drone on my car by having anti-resonance pipes welded on before my Magnaflow mufflers.

Quick Reply: We have a first gen V in the shop today!