Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

water pump Q's

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default water pump Q's

Im sorry, these are pretty noob questions, I only have ALLdata for reference, and its not that wonderful for this car.
I have an 07 V, I recentlty replaced the water pump, radiator, and radiator hoses. I have a very small leak, can't tell exactly where its coming from but I think the water pump gaskets. There was some black material left on the block from the previous gasket...after consoderable scraping, I thought it was flat enough for the new one to seal...maybe not.
I plan to remove the WP to address this....
Assuming the gaskets are not messed up are they really reusable? I'm thinking about replacing them just so I don't risk doing this **** again.
Is scothchbrite the go to for removing the rubber/viton...whatever that is?
Will the pump come out without removing the fans (which basically requires pulling the radiator?
Where do you put the RTV on the gasket? Is there a particular spot that that keeps them in place better?
Old 10-30-2014, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Always replace the gaskets. Always.

I didn't really need to, but scotchbrite will get any residue off. I don't remember putting any RTV on the gasket as I don't think it's needed.

You will have a helluva time getting it out without taking the fans out. The fans are really easy to remove and will make your life easier.

Look here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...l-writeup.html

There a section about the water pump in there.

Quick Reply: water pump Q's