Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Best differential gear ratio for 1/4 mile

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 12:26 AM
Launching!

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Best differential gear ratio for 1/4 mile

Hello everybody,

New to this forum & I'd appreciate your help with the below.
I want to know what is the best differential for my 2009 CTS-V auto
Please note that my car has a Manley 427 CID 7.0L stroker, heads, camshaft, full exhaust,CAI, suspension, pulley, throttle body& tuned (6200-6300) redline with a 4" D3 intercooler.
In your experience and as per the above mods, what would be better than the stock 3.23 differential ratio?
Please specify the best brand and ratio. My understanding is that. There are some type of calculations that. Will help.

Thank you all & God bless.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Do you know of any place that makes other ratios? Other than the factory 3.23s and 3.73s, are there any options out there?

As for determining the best ratio (for now ignoring the question of whether it will even be available), there are any number of online calculators that will step you through that. You haven't told us any of the pertinent data, so we can't really answer the question for you.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You can search for a drag race gearing calculator on google. You would need your #'s like trans gear ratio's, red line, tire size, horse power, trap speed, and diff ratio. The way it works is, it is setup so when you cross the line (either 1/8 or 1/4) you will be at or near redline in the desired gear. So there is no unwanted late shift at say the 1k foot mark.

At any rate, this is something that hardcore drag racers figure out. Unless that V is a dedicated straight line queen, I don't see why you would want to go down this road.

Edit: side not, is your car turboed, or has the stock blower? You mention a pulley? Then say you have a 4" inner cooler?
Old 01-28-2015, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Edit: side not, is your car turboed, or has the stock blower? You mention a pulley? Then say you have a 4" inner cooler?
Presumably he's referring to D3's setup (http://d3groupinc.com/fmic), which they refer to as a front mount intercooler, an ULTRACOOLER, a front mount heat exchanger/intercooler, and a front mount intercooler/heat exchanger, all on the same page. Excellent consistency by their web designer and copy editor.

Oh, and it is possible to have an air-to-air intercooler with a supercharger, they're not limited to turbo setups.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC

Oh, and it is possible to have an air-to-air intercooler with a supercharger, they're not limited to turbo setups.
Yes, but something like a procharger. Not a top engine mounted blower (V2), those are heat exchangers. Thus my confusion.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

D3 is all about using them buzzwords and makin that cash.

Quick Reply: Best differential gear ratio for 1/4 mile