Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Is the LS7 clutch still the way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, Amazon told me to **** off. The only thing they'll do is replace the part if I pull it out of the car and send it back to them for processing. They told me to contact LuK. LuK told me to **** off, and warranty of "any alleged faulty parts" needs to be done through Amazon.

I'm still pissed off every time I drive the car and feel that vibration. I could have bought an $850 clutch kit and flywheel combo and still been out the same amount of money as the stupid $300 I spent on the piece of **** LuK combo.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tobylazur
Well, Amazon told me to **** off. The only thing they'll do is replace the part if I pull it out of the car and send it back to them for processing. They told me to contact LuK. LuK told me to **** off, and warranty of "any alleged faulty parts" needs to be done through Amazon.

I'm still pissed off every time I drive the car and feel that vibration. I could have bought an $850 clutch kit and flywheel combo and still been out the same amount of money as the stupid $300 I spent on the piece of **** LuK combo.
Understand you're pissed but the tech installing it could have just as easily damaged it putting it together. Can't blame Luk or Amazon.

You saved a few bucks buying the parts yourself and now you got burned. In the future, if you expect an iron clad warranty, buy your parts from the people doing the install so you only have one finger to point.

If not, suck it up and put it in yourself.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1247
Understand you're pissed but the tech installing it could have just as easily damaged it putting it together. Can't blame Luk or Amazon.

You saved a few bucks buying the parts yourself and now you got burned. In the future, if you expect an iron clad warranty, buy your parts from the people doing the install so you only have one finger to point.

If not, suck it up and put it in yourself.
While it's possible, I doubt very much that they damaged it. They do normal automotive repair stuff, but they also build dirt track cars, so I'd imagine they are pretty competent.

I'm mostly pissed because I contacted Amazon before it was balanced and their customer service rep told me I could have it balanced and they'd refund some or all of the labor for the R&R of the clutch the second time around. Then the second time I contacted them they said "sorry you got the wrong information. You need to contact the manufacturer for any warranty information". I'm also pissed that LuK told me "the alleged faulty parts" need to go back to Amazon because they don't do any warranty on parts.

I understand that **** happens. Bad parts get past QC, installs get screwed up, mistakes cost money. I'd just feel better if I at least got some type of reach around while these two companies were ******* me in the ***. Instead they went in dry and spit in my face when they were done.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:14 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Got the car back last night. There's still a vibration right at 3k rpms, but it's much better than it was before.

I probably should have spent the money for a nicer part.
Thats normal for the break in period.

Give it 100mi and it should go away
Old 09-20-2016, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

I understand that **** happens. Bad parts get past QC, installs get screwed up, mistakes cost money. I'd just feel better if I at least got some type of reach around while these two companies were ******* me in the ***. Instead they went in dry and spit in my face when they were done.
I feel ya, buddy. Sorry things had to go sideways for you, but 100's of guys around these parts have installed LUK (and other) clutch kits without those kinds of issues. You either got a lemon, or something happened in the balancing process (which is something the vast majority of us don't bother doing). As I'm sure you're aware, Amazon is usually top notch with their customer service. I know for a fact that they keep record/notes of customer calls; like most customer service dept's these days. A rep (or manager) should be able to go back and see who gave you the original assurance re: refunding of R&R $. Even if that isn't the case, just keep calling back/harassing them until you get your way. They'll fold.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just Ordered my kit.

Rockauto --Doesn't look like they have the LUK flywheel anymore? Same part# though.

LUK 04216 (04-216) Clutch Kit $ 246.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 246.79
PIONEER FW191 (FW-191) Flywheel $ 127.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 127.79

Tick Performance

Tick Performance Remote Clutch SPEEDbleeder Line for 2010-2014 Camaro SS, 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP & 04-07 CTS-V
TPSBL5G 1 $49.99 USD $49.99 USD

Tick Performance Upgraded LS7 Slave Line for 2004-07 CTS-V
TPUSLCTS 1 $49.99 USD $49.99 USD

Total with everything shipped came out to ~$500

Two Questions.

Is the monster billet bearing support worth picking up? http://monsterclutches.com/2004-2007...earing-support

I noticed a little engine oil on my oil pan a few weeks ago. Should I pick up the entire gasket kit or just the RMS?

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....433649&jsn=455

Okay, maybe 3...Anything else while I have it opened up? Car has 140k miles.

Last edited by tlorenzen; 10-16-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:49 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

I got the bearing collar, if you are goin to be hard on it then yes its worth it, but if you are just goin to dd the car its almost not worth the upgrade
Old 10-17-2016, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Went ahead and ordered the bearing support.

Pardon my laziness, I'm swamped at work and trying to get these in before the weekend.

Is the gasket kit I listed the correct one? I remember reading something about just the seal vs the whole thing.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tlorenzen
Went ahead and ordered the bearing support.

Pardon my laziness, I'm swamped at work and trying to get these in before the weekend.

Is the gasket kit I listed the correct one? I remember reading something about just the seal vs the whole thing.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...lace-seal.html
Old 10-18-2016, 05:05 AM
On The Tree

Thank you ls1247. Since there's that TSB I went ahead and just ordered the whole cover etc from rock auto. I'd rather only do this once than be back in there in a couple months.

DORMAN 635518 (635-518) Crankshaft Main Bearing Seal $ 32.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 32.79

Came to $40 shipped. The seal itself was going to be almost $20 shipped, so for $20 why not have the peace of mind that I'm not on a 9 year 140k mile gasket.
The following users liked this post:
LS_in-FEST-ed (12-20-2020)
Old 10-18-2016, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rock Auto has the flywheel... luk lfw191 for $54. Amazon has it for $64 shipped. Def get the whole rear main seal kit as it already has the main seal pressed into it. That's easy for people to mess up. My oil pan seal has a slow leak to it which is what I noticed when in there. Not worth messing with right now.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Damn...that's what I get for drinking and shopping ...Came to $57 shipped from Rock Auto.

Thanks for the update. Just cost me an extra $11 to return the other one. Not bad really.

Originally Posted by MN_V
Rock Auto has the flywheel... luk lfw191 for $54. Amazon has it for $64 shipped. Def get the whole rear main seal kit as it already has the main seal pressed into it. That's easy for people to mess up. My oil pan seal has a slow leak to it which is what I noticed when in there. Not worth messing with right now.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:22 AM
Teching In

Hopefully I can replace this shitty clutch in the next month or so. I'm not sure what to company to go with now.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Has anyone tried an ACT clutch on an LS motor?
Old 11-08-2016, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Got the LS7 clutch installed last week. Another happy customer!

Clutch pickup was right off the floor like stated before and it was a bit hard to get into gears at first, but as I've been breaking it in it just keeps getting better. I have about 500 (mostly highway) miles on it so far and it's starting to get about perfect. No more gear grinds and the car doesn't complain about going into reverse near as much as before.

A note of advice...Which I regret not finding till after the fact, is to replace the linkage bushings on the transmission while you have it out. I'm pretty salty I didn't think about it until it was too late.

Now to just pick up a new master cylinder....
The following users liked this post:
LS_in-FEST-ed (12-20-2020)
Old 09-13-2019, 12:37 AM
Teching In

Default Ls7 clutch upgrade

I have a V1 and I'm looking to to the ls7 clutch upgrade,which a shop is doing the work. Can someone please tell me exactly what parts a needed?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:25 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Ls7 fly wheel, new bolts, pressure plate, pilot bearin, and a ls7 slave.

no spacer
The following 2 users liked this post by Naf:
kra86 (04-28-2021), LS_in-FEST-ed (12-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Is the LS7 clutch still the way to go?