Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Rear Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercier
Other than what you listed above, how do you plan to make those axles live any amount of time on the street and track at that power level? Is G-Force going to do something special for you? Am I underestimating their parts?
You're familiar with the advantages of Strange Engineering's S-Trac, right?
Old 12-21-2016, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
You're familiar with the advantages of Strange Engineering's S-Trac, right?
I have read about it in the past. It is a Quaife type of affair right? I can't remember why I landed on the Trutrac..Either wasnt available for the 8.8 with the right spline count or I was in a cheap-a$$ mood that day. Still the TT isn't cheap per se so I would like to think $ wasn't the only factor.

Those have a good reputation but I wasn't aware of anything they would do to make a "1200HP" axle live so far beyond its means. I'm here to learn above all else so please educate me.

Thanks.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Wait, tell me again why MN_V was wrong? The 8.8 is readily available, maybe not more but probably equally as available as a 9". Especially since everyone knows to look for the 9" and gobbles them all up. Where as the 8.8 more so slides under the radar not to mention it can be had for way cheaper.

And as he said it is also well proven? Go ahead and look up broken 8.8's because I know where this is going but be warned, I know I can google more broken 9" rears then 8.8's.

OP either rear end will work. Maybe the 9" can hold a little more power, but the 8.8 as a whole in the V1 will be easy 1k cheaper. Just depends on your pockets.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Wait, tell me again why MN_V was wrong? The 8.8 is readily available, maybe not more but probably equally as available as a 9". Especially since everyone knows to look for the 9" and gobbles them all up. Where as the 8.8 more so slides under the radar not to mention it can be had for way cheaper.

And as he said it is also well proven? Go ahead and look up broken 8.8's because I know where this is going but be warned, I know I can google more broken 9" rears then 8.8's.

OP either rear end will work. Maybe the 9" can hold a little more power, but the 8.8 as a whole in the V1 will be easy 1k cheaper. Just depends on your pockets.
I agree with this but when you're shooting for 2000hp, you might enjoy the ease the 9" offers for gear ratio changes. That would be worth $1k to me on what seems to be a build where cost isn't the primary concern...
Old 12-22-2016, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

Since we're talking IRS, I do believe at least the 8.8 IRS is more available than 9" IRS. Junk yard vs. aftermarket right? But splitting hairs on a build where money is obviously not the primary concern.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

But splitting hairs on a build where money is obviously not the primary concern.
Ding ding!
Old 12-25-2016, 08:43 AM
TECH Junkie

I have read about it in the past. It is a Quaife type of affair right? I can't remember why I landed on the Trutrac..Either wasnt available for the 8.8 with the right spline count or I was in a cheap-a$$ mood that day. Still the TT isn't cheap per se so I would like to think $ wasn't the only factor.

Those have a good reputation but I wasn't aware of anything they would do to make a "1200HP" axle live so far beyond its means. I'm here to learn above all else so please educate me.

Thanks.
Hope you're having a merry Christmas! Before I bought my Gforce 9" kit, I looked at all available options (including Creative Steel's TruTrac 8.8" offering) and called / emailed a bunch of places to get their perspectives on the TruTrac (Eaton), Wavetrac (Autotech), and S-Trac (Strange Engineering).

These three units are all helical gear, preloaded, non-locking, torque-biasing LSDs, but the TruTrac doesn't put any power to ground if you lift a wheel or significantly unload one. The Wavetrac and S-Trac can still put power to the ground, but I don't understand how the S-Trac does it without using spring packs. Inside the Wavetrac there are these machined wave profiles that are locked together while the axles are loaded. When the axles are unloaded, they slip against each other, driving the halves of the center section apart. This loads the differential and ends the axle no-load condition.

Wavetrac Under Load:

Wavetrac Under No Load:

In terms of torque rating, the TruTrac is definitely the loser here. There are articles on the materials used--basically, the TruTrac's gears and fasteners are inferior and generic whereas the WaveTrac and S-Trac use case-hardened 9310 gears and ARP fasteners where applicable. In photos showing destruction of TruTrac differentials, you can see significant wear along the tooth profiles of the sun gear and chips or shearing on the planetary gears.

The most common theme is that you can break the 31-spline TruTrac with 450-500 RWTQ (equivalent to about 600 RWHP) and the 33-spline unit with 550 RWTQ. But there are also photos of broken TruTracs with their users claiming that they were broken with sticky tires and a lot less horsepower. By comparison the 35-spline Wavetrac is good for 700-800 RWTQ and the 35-spline S-Trac is good for almost 1000 RWTQ. You have to be careful looking at Wavetrac breakage stories because a lot of the broken units were first-gen products and the design has been updated since then. In general, it's important to try to control for case design--aluminum cases break a lot more easily than nodular iron--sometimes people will say "I broke my [insert product here]" when they only broke the case.

To get an idea of the price, the 31-spline 8.8" TruTrac costs $485, whereas the 35-spline 9" Wavetrac and S-Trac cost $995 (they're direct competitors). Likewise, the TruTrac is warrantied for 1 year, whereas the Wavetrac and S-Trac have a lifetime warranty on breakage due to excessive horsepower. When I bought my Gforce 9" kit, I noticed that they stopped offering the Wavetrac and asked them about it. They said that they had a lot of users breaking the Wavetrac but had far fewer problems with the S-Trac. Since they're the same price, with the same feature set (plus S-Trac is made in Chicago), and the S-Trac is a few pounds lighter, they had no problems only offering the S-Trac.

Hope that helped! I'm sure the torque numbers will be controversial but that's the nature of the game... factors like sticky tires and user error are almost always left out when people are complaining about breakage.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 12-25-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry it took so long for me to see your very thoughtful and detailed response. Looks like there does exist a Cobra IRS kit which would work for a 8.8 V swap with Wavetrac. Maybe I just cheaped out.

Thought: I see in the pics that the gears(machining angle) are all aimed inwards...Is it possible that the inward pressure is accomplished through the loading of said gears when the rear is loaded, providing the inward pressure allowing the Wavetrac to compress around the center section? Would keep the "waves" in the center design compressed against each other. Does this perhaps explain what you say is questionable? Just my non-engineer guess.

Last edited by Mercier; 01-12-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Thought: I see in the pics that the gears(machining angle) are all aimed inwards...Is it possible that the inward pressure is accomplished through the loading of said gears when the rear is loaded, providing the inward pressure allowing the Wavetrac to compress around the center section? Would keep the "waves" in the center design compressed against each other. Does this perhaps explain what you say is questionable? Just my non-engineer guess.
You got it!

When the wheels are driven by the motor, the thrust load is directed inward, forcing the wave profiles together. This diagram might help a bit:

Quick Reply: Rear Suspension Questions