Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Hood vibration at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 06:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to replace my hinges to fix a rattle but they didn't seem to cause much vibration. How tight is all the plastic under the front? Any movement at all?
Old 01-31-2017, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The two hing bolts just come out, they have a large shoulder on them. No pics but if you search around for the hood rattle you will find others that have made nylon washer from Home Depot work but they stopped carrying them

Raven he is still missing the air dam and that's the biggest issues he has, im guessing he is not wanting to pony up for it. Nothing will be fixed with out it. The hinge rattle is just another notorious thing to look at but will not cause his issue
Old 02-10-2017, 06:01 PM
tnw
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So after a balance and moving the best rollers to the front almost all of the vibration was gone. Turns out the hood was vibrating because of the wheels.

I do still have one issue which persists. I get some vibration through the steering wheel from 55-65 MPH but not outside of those speeds. Any ideas on that one?
Old 02-10-2017, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anything over 80? On the throttle or no?
Old 02-10-2017, 06:45 PM
tnw
Staging Lane

No vibration over 80 at this point. The 55-65 vibration happens on and off the throttle.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have the tires balanced
Old 02-10-2017, 08:47 PM
tnw
Staging Lane

Sorry if my post (#23) was unclear but I just got them balanced and the vibration at 55-65 MPH persists.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tnw
So after a balance and moving the best rollers to the front almost all of the vibration was gone. Turns out the hood was vibrating because of the wheels.

I do still have one issue which persists. I get some vibration through the steering wheel from 55-65 MPH but not outside of those speeds. Any ideas on that one?
i have this too. I'm nearly certain it's just the tire tread and compound causing resonance vibrations. Or such a slight imbalance the shops can't get it 100%. I have Goodyear eagle RSAs on the front. It was worse when I had 4 of them. And the first set got replaced within days b/c of broken belts. Also the problem got worse when I had one replaced after an accident. I already didn't like them so I was miffed that I had 3 nearly new ones instead of the two half worn that were on the back. I had a bit of a fit when they asked me to pay the prorated difference since the damaged tire wasn't new. I told them to find me a used tire or eat it. Pretty absurd.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

How slight of a vibration is it? What motor mounts do you have? Dunno if that's the source or coincidence but I have had a very slight vibration in my wheel only after I went aftermarket mounts. I will live with it as is but I had them balanced 3 times before I was able to get an acceptable balance from them. The rest I attribute to all my driveline being poly mounts
Old 02-11-2017, 09:16 AM
tnw
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by isis
i have this too. I'm nearly certain it's just the tire tread and compound causing resonance vibrations. Or such a slight imbalance the shops can't get it 100%. I have Goodyear eagle RSAs on the front. It was worse when I had 4 of them. And the first set got replaced within days b/c of broken belts. Also the problem got worse when I had one replaced after an accident. I already didn't like them so I was miffed that I had 3 nearly new ones instead of the two half worn that were on the back. I had a bit of a fit when they asked me to pay the prorated difference since the damaged tire wasn't new. I told them to find me a used tire or eat it. Pretty absurd.
That's an interesting theory. I've never heard of that before. My interest here in almost entirely out of curiosity than worry. It's not that bad and I don't spend much time at those speeds anyway

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
How slight of a vibration is it? What motor mounts do you have? Dunno if that's the source or coincidence but I have had a very slight vibration in my wheel only after I went aftermarket mounts. I will live with it as is but I had them balanced 3 times before I was able to get an acceptable balance from them. The rest I attribute to all my driveline being poly mounts
I'm fairly certain that the motor mounts are stock and may even be original.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Radial Tire Vibrations

Going back to the 1970's, there has been a tire engineering phenomena of radial tire vibrations in the 50-53 mph range with some brands on some cars that sometimes just can't be balanced out. Most people just don't notice it since they drive through the range on their way to 55+ mph. I've noticed it with Goodyear, Goodrich, and Michelin. I've spent hours on some of my cars using both static and dynamic balancing machines and sometimes just can't seem to get it all out.

Last edited by gedupont; 02-12-2017 at 01:50 AM. Reason: mispelling

Quick Reply: Hood vibration at highway speeds