Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CS 8.8" driver side axle removal / reinstall tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default CS 8.8" driver side axle removal / reinstall tips

The inner CV on my driver side axle is dead. I've got the replacement CV from DSS on hand and plan to swap it out either this weekend or the next. The 8.8" was installed by a shop, so I've never really messed with it myself. However, I recall the tech saying the driver side axle was a bit of a pain in the *** to install. I think he said you have to jack the diff up in the subframe, install the DS axle (so that the inner CV will clear the subframe), then lower the diff and bolt it to the subframe.

So, I'm assuming removing the axle will be the opposite - unbolt the diff mounting bolts, jack the diff up enough that the inner CV will clear the subframe, pop the driver side axle out, good to go. Is that correct? If not, what is the procedure to do this? Any "gotchas" to watch out for? Any trick to actually getting the axle out of the diff? I've never done it on this car, but I've swapped axles a few times on my Subaru - on that I've just used a pry bar and given it a firm hit to "pop" the axle loose.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Curious--what are your symptoms of the dead CV? Did it snap or are the bearings just grinding? Just want to know what to listen/look for when that day comes.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are doing this by yourself, you can also loosen the bolts to the differential to get the axle out. Better than having the diff sit there on a stand that is rocking back and forth.

Other than that, just grease the axle and seal before installing.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Curious--what are your symptoms of the dead CV? Did it snap or are the bearings just grinding? Just want to know what to listen/look for when that day comes.
The CV is still intact and functional, but has gradually gotten louder and louder. Started a couple months ago, I guess. When I finally got it on a lift to check things out I found a huge tear in the CV boot. Not sure what caused that, but obviously letting all the grease out doesn't do much for the longevity of the CV!

Originally Posted by Creative Steel
If you are doing this by yourself, you can also loosen the bolts to the differential to get the axle out. Better than having the diff sit there on a stand that is rocking back and forth.

Other than that, just grease the axle and seal before installing.
I had emailed Kristie and Maxx, and Maxx asked me to give him a call. He said the same thing when I just talked to him. I think I'll be good to go, just need to find the motivation to knock it out. Probably next weekend.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It's easy with the driveshaft and passenger axel in. Just unbolt the diff and put a jack under it. It only needs to go up half an inch? And a little tilt to the right, violá. And yes, just use a pry bar with a swift pop and it will come right out.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I removed the six Allen bolts removed the axle then pop the stub out.

Quick Reply: CS 8.8" driver side axle removal / reinstall tips