Cadillac CTS-V 2009-2015 (Gen 2) Welcome to a whole other level of overkill

CTS-4 V8 Swap.... possible???

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 10:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTS-4 V8 Swap.... possible???

Currently my DD is a 2012 CTS-4 Coupe 3.6 AT. 85,000 miles.
I been doing a lot of digging because when the 3.6 direct inject crap starts giving me a hard time (I understand direct injection isn't crap, It's just not as easy for the average person in my opinion) I'd like to try swapping in a V8.
I'd like to retain the AWD as I do drive in the winter and would rather not have to rip it all out. Stock transmission is the 6L50e and is rated for 333ft/lbs.
My idea for the v8 is an L33 with 4.8 internals I was reading an article where they had basically just did a mild cam in a 4.8 and it made 385ish HP and 345-350ish TQ. I figured buy going 4.8 it would keep the torque at a livable level for the 6L50 and hopefully be able to use stock cts-v manifolds.
Questions being:
Will a 6L50 that is normally bolted to a 3.6 bolt to a 4.8ls?
Will the 3.6 ecm be able to support the v8 vice the v6? (IIRC the 4.3 truck ones could be flashed to run an ls swap?)
Does anyone think the 6L50 will live at 350ft lbs with a simple tune?

I love the body style of the car, I certainly understand there is a point of keeping it vs just going and buying a V.

My other idea IF I though the font and rear diffs would live would be figuring out how to put at ls3/6l80 combo from an AWD Denalli in the car.

I have pretty good machining/Fabricating skills and own a CNC Plasma cutter so not everything has to be bolt together. This is also mostly in the dreaming stage. I was just curious if anyone else thinks its doable (l33/4.8 parts are pretty cheap)
Old 12-04-2016, 02:01 AM
Teching In

To be completely honest, its going to be more work then its worth.

You'd probably have to convert the L33 to 58x to work with the 6L50. I seriously doubt it would survive for very long even behind a mild V8. The other component you'll have to worry about will be the transfer case. I have no idea how strong they are. I seriously doubt they're any stronger then the need to be for the V6. Any kind of spirited driving will eventually hurt something.

I doubt the 3.6 ecm would run that engine even with a tune. The issue you're going to run into is that you're in uncharted territory. I seriously doubt anyone has ever done the swap since it already exists in the form of a CTSV.

At the end of it all you're going to have a problematic vehicle with a weak trans that you wasted time and money into.

My recommendation? Sell it and either buy a CTSV or G8.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 sell it. They have been trying this for years with the 5th gen Camaros and can't get one done. You will have bigger challenges with this car.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:28 AM
Teching In

Yeah, I kind of figured it was a pipe dream. Along with the fact that I have several other projects that are half done. Current GF has a kid so I should probably should get a 4 door anyways HAHA. Since we all will agree that a V Sedan is a practical family car LOL

Quick Reply: CTS-4 V8 Swap.... possible???