Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

how many quarts of oil do i need for an oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that the Purolator PureOne filter specific to the LS6 CTS-V has the exact same holes and number markings as the Motorcraft FL-331 filter. No surprised since Purolator makes them for Ford. The filter in the picture above was purchased Apr '09. Recently while at a local parts store, I noticed there were two FL-331 filters side-by-side on the shelf but one was longer than the other. Looks like Ford shortened them as a cost cutting measure?
Old 01-22-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default oil filter

Fram is much better than delco...When i had my Syclone motor rebuilt, i had an AC delco. at start up i could hear a slight knock just for about 1/100sec.
I told the builder and he asked me what kind of oil filter i was running and i told him an AC delco.....he told me to trash it and use a Fram or K&N.... So i put on the fram and NEVER heard the knock again....The Fram and K&N are designed to hold all the oil after shut down.... where the Delco leaks down so when u start it up the oil has to go back up to the filter....and in that little time there is no oil pressure.....
Old 01-23-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost all oil filters have anti-drainback valves. The issue is whether they work well or not. Your AC Delco filter may have had a faulty valve. For the price of a Fram or K&N, a Purolator, Wix, Hastings, or Mobil 1 filter would be a better option. Fram is known to be cheaply made, the K&N flows well but does not filter as well as the others.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

I'd run like the wind if my engine builder told me to buy a fram oil filter...
Old 01-23-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, fram is junk.

I have always run wix, purolator, motorcraft or mobil 1 on all my cars.

The mobil 1 is a little more expensive though and on a cut open test we did, it looks identical to a wix internals wise...
Old 01-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lubelizard
Almost all oil filters have anti-drainback valves. The issue is whether they work well or not. Your AC Delco filter may have had a faulty valve. For the price of a Fram or K&N, a Purolator, Wix, Hastings, or Mobil 1 filter would be a better option. Fram is known to be cheaply made, the K&N flows well but does not filter as well as the others.
Not all oil filters have anti-drainback valves so this guy may have had the wrong part#. I agree Wix, hastings, or mobil1 fo sho. I run wix on all my cars only because I think the mobil 1's are overpriced.

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
I'd run like the wind if my engine builder told me to buy a fram oil filter...

YES!

FRAM!?!?
Old 01-28-2010, 07:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hence my statement "almost all".
Old 01-28-2010, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

Really, does a drainback valve really come into play since the filters are mounted vertically?

Quick Reply: how many quarts of oil do i need for an oil change?