Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Fuel Leak! Fuel Pump Melting & Smoking!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's some good info - thanks for sharing!

If anyone wants to see a lot of pics of the stock fuel system and a heavily documented fuel system replacement (complete aftermarket), check out this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...umps-pics.html
Old 10-09-2014, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the odds that I can get the recall done with an 8.8 installed?
I know it "shouldn't matter" but I'm worried about them saying they won't deal with it because of the CF drive shaft.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 54inches
ttt for recallers....
Recallers?
Old 10-10-2014, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jerrad
I know it "shouldn't matter" but I'm worried about them saying they won't deal with it because of the CF drive shaft.
I'm thinking they will fight it. I imagine they would fight mine with just cradle bushings because they don't want to do the recall work. So now I'm wondering if its even worth bothering with the dealer, especially after all the horror stories that have been going on lately. The other option I have is to do the work myself and upgrade the fuel system with a hotwire and DW300 pumps. The car will need a better fuel system at some point anyway if I ever actually hit my goal of 500whp.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:05 AM
Staging Lane

Is everyone talking about the ignition recall, or is there another recall?
Old 10-10-2014, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

We're talking about the pending recall on the fuel pump module. There is no solution so the dealer tells you to **** off.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bmylez
We're talking about the pending recall on the fuel pump module. There is no solution so the dealer tells you to **** off.
Really, nice, I wonder what they will do for all of us who have had these repaired over the years.
My wife has that issue with her X5, "we know the VANOS bolt has an issue, but we don't have the parts to fix it yet"
Old 10-10-2014, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, it's real shitty that there's no one to hold them accountable. It makes me want to just go ahead and swap in a Walbro before it's an issue, but it is very rare, so I'm just gonna roll the dice for now.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

I want to 2nd the commonality of this issue...
If you look at almost any late model gm fuel hanger (truck, car, etc) they all have that 4-pin square plug...

If you go to a parts store (AutoZone, O'reilly's, etc.) and buy a replacement hanger module (Airtex brand, etc), you will notice a different connector on the hat (a 4-pin flat) along with a new pigtail to fit this connector, which the manufacturer requires you to change over to be able to install the new aftermarket sender.

This is because of the previously stated, and well under-emphasized, issue in this thread that those 4-pin square plugs lose tension on the terminals, arc, and short out. That is what burned up your plug. Period, done deal.

You don't need another GM hanger and pigtail necessarily, though a new setup may work fine and give you years of consistent service. You really should try to figure out how to get the flat-style-connector hanger assembly in your car when you replace this connector.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jerrad
Make sure you mark the orientation of all joints so you can verify they were put back the same then go verify the torque. They should only remove the exhaust and driveshaft to do the job.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jmargo
Make sure you mark the orientation of all joints so you can verify they were put back the same then go verify the torque. They should only remove the exhaust and driveshaft to do the job.
My dealer took the exhaust off and lowered the cradle to get to the tank.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD03Cobra
My dealer took the exhaust off and lowered the cradle to get to the tank.
Did they perform as alignment after ? Driveshaft came out also I assume.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jmargo
Did they perform as alignment after ? Driveshaft came out also I assume.
Yes they did, also had them change out my differential bearing at the same time. My Clunk is gone...at least for now.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Got my recall today. I'm 50/50 on if I even want a GM tech taking my car apart to do the work.

Check these comments;
eagle_co94 said:
Good luck contacting your dealer! Vera Cadillac in Pembroke Pines, FL will REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE your recall until forced to do so by Cadillac customer service...after filing a complaint. Then once they admit your car is covered they will still refuse to do the work, claiming they don't know how to do the repairs...unless you pay for them to do it! Then you "might get reimbursed" once the date is set for the recall.

Hi eagle_co94,

We regret to learn of your experience with Vera Cadillac. If you'd like to message us your VIN and contact information we'll gladly note your concerns within our system and follow up with your dealership as necessary. We're also available via email at socialmedia@gm.com if interested.

Amber N.
GM Customer Care
Flag
eagle_co94eagle_co94 Posts: 2
October 17
Just wanted to follow up that GM really stepped up and took excellent care of me and my CTS-V. They called me as soon as they got my information and the next morning my car was towed into the dealership, I was given a brand new rental and my car was worked on quickly. Ed Morse's Bayview Cadillac provided great service and had a very knowledgeable staff. I felt like they were genuinely concerned about my car and getting it fixed. If I ever need anything I know I'll be going back to Ed Morse! Thanks GM!

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2004...p-modules.html
Old 11-04-2014, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

Got this recall letter the other day for my 05. Said no parts were available yet but ill be notified when that'll be. Lol. Im tempted to just fix this on my own.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My connector looked fine when I put my 255lph in. I cut the access hole in the top, and used dynamat to hold it in place. 0 fuel smell. When they get new pigtails, I'm probably just going to ask if I can have it and do it myself.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad to hear this is being recalled...wish I could get the $$$ back I spent fixing it!
Old 11-20-2014, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

So I just double checked with my dealer. They said that they are waiting for guidance from GM.

Here's my issue... I have a cam that I'm waiting to put in. I was originally intending to wait til the pump recall is done. But its a recall, not a warranty claim. Anyone have any experience with getting a recall with aftermarket stuff like a cam and tune? Do they have to replace it regardless? I've noticed that when the car is cold it will feel like it loses fuel, like its "fish biting" a little bit. But when it recovers its fine. Not sure, but that is probably a fuel system issue... At least that's what it was on my 6.5 diesel when the injector pump was having an issue.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

Magnuson-Moss Act says its on the dealer to prove your aftermarket modifications are the cause of a potential issue covered under warranty. I would imagine a recall would be even less picky about modifications to just about anything on the car not involving the actual fuel pump.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I get that. And I actually used it in the past. But I'm not really sure about the recall stuff. I was hoping they would have the parts before I installed my cam, but its looking like they won't. Oh well.

Quick Reply: Fuel Leak! Fuel Pump Melting & Smoking!!