Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Dif question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dif question?

So I guess I am full of questions today. So next Tuesday I have my final under warranty appointment. I am having them look at the transmission because I am getting a bad clunk and hop if I let the clutch back in at a normal pace. Also my AC is out. So what would I be feeling if my differential was having issues? I just want to be as proactive as possible here. This is my last chance before it starts coming out of my pocket! Anything else that I should have them take a peek at. I am paying to have an alignment at the same time so hopefully that will make the shop happy.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would have started this process a bit earlier, as sometimes a 2nd or 3rd complaint is necessary to make them take responsibility.

is this factory warranty or gmpp? if factory, the list can go on and on, anything you can think..remember all warranty claims are a game and if you dont report the right symptom, they wont just "go after the part". dont forget you didnt design the junk parts so dont feel bad for making them replace them. it is the service writers job to protect the parts bin.

if your diff is humming, you might have a chance. make sure you leave the back seat down so they can hear it on the test drive. tell them you read that this is a sign of impending doom. print some articles and take them in. if its not humming forget it.

radiator- if youve smelled antifreeze tell them to check it. dealer pressure tests could never detect my leak (i guess the pressure test was a tech blowing in the hose) but it finally shat on me at a stoplight. the top seam ruptured. check it. the bottom hose connection is another weak point...

tran$mission- make sure you dont have a vibration in 5th or 6th gear at hwy speeds especially 70-80. also check the rear seals where the driveshaft connects for any small leaks

clunk in the front is usually motor mounts. even if they look like gold, they are probably SHOT. if you know they're shot, just call them out and offer to pay labor if they aren't. rear clunk- prob a worn diff bushing (which comes with a new diff, if they replace) . motor mounts- they are simply trash. I had one that burst in less than 7 days and im maybe making 308 whp going downhill. if gmpp, consider not letting them replace- just get creative steel mounts. you are out of warranty so theres no incentive for them to let you supply mounts and clip a labor coupon

check:
wheel center caps
sail panels
radio buttons
seat covers/pads
console armrest
trunk shocks
headlights
e-brake
tpms

keep a close eye on quality control - dont leave unless its perfect.

that alignment better have a warranty. if not go pay for lifetime alignment somewhere else. this car's alignment can get whacked with just a few good bumps.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the dif is fine. Just wanted to be safe. The rest is things I will bring up especially the motor mounts. Thanks that helps a lot!