Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Whining diff, anyone opened one up to check the tolerances?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining diff, anyone opened one up to check the tolerances?

Title says it all. Those of you with whining differentials, has anyone actually removed the diff and opened it to see if the backlash, pinion depth, and wipe pattern all check out ok?

My diff whine is really driving me nuts, If I get a chance this weekend I'm going to pull it and crack it open. I've installed 4.10's in a 10 bolt before, I know this case is different but the concepts should be the same.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

My first diff got very noisy, particularly after 2 days at Shenandoah Circuit (tight, technical couse, ~17 turns in 2.2mi, so I was giving the diff a workout). I ended up getting it replaced shortly thereafter. Dealer tech showed me the old one - the wipe patterns on the pinion and ring gear were way wrong. I wish I had been able to take pictures, but I didn't have a camera with me.

Interestingly enough, the new diff comes all as one unit - case and all, ready to install. I don't know that the techs do any sort of checks on the diffs to verify all those things you asked about - I think it just gets bolted in. Makes me wonder how many noisy diff issues are due to improper settings from day one. The new diff lasted all of a couple months (and 3 days on track) before it, too, started getting noisy and was replaced again.

Quick Reply: Whining diff, anyone opened one up to check the tolerances?