Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

I think this might be relevant to your interest (turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think this might be relevant to your interest (turbo)

Sorry for the doodoo phone pics, here is just one side done of my home-made sts knockoff turbo kit

I'm using some ebay gt35r turbos, .81 exhaust housing (probably going to switch to the .63 housings if the spool is slow. I know what you're thinking about the turbos, they are probably junk, but these are going to be run pretty easily and with low EGTs since they are so far away from the motor, so I'm thinking that will extend their lifespan. They are also oil+water cooled, so this might also keep them healthy. They are advertised as single ball bearing and single sleeve bearing, and have an oil restrictor in the kit. Pretty nice stuff actually for $400.

Twin 38mm wastegates, also Ebay knockoff ****. They do work actuated them with my air compressor, and again, won't be exposed to very high EGTs. They are going to be controlled by an electronic boost controller so they won't constantly leak.

I have an intercooler that will fit nicely and some random piping on the way to hook all that up.

Lastly, the oiling system is in the planning phase. I'm thinking a diff oil pump (or two for redundancy). Still thinking about it obviously.

Once all this stuff is ready to be installed, I'm going to build the motor up with forged rods and pistons and tackle the diff (I have some ideas)

Pics are of the passenger side being test fit for clearance. I'm holding it up with my knee Also, a pic of me welding some stainless on my tig for the first time, just for kicks.
Attached Thumbnails I think this might be relevant to your interest (turbo)-turbo1.jpg   I think this might be relevant to your interest (turbo)-turbo2.jpg   I think this might be relevant to your interest (turbo)-turbo3.jpg   I think this might be relevant to your interest (turbo)-turbo4.jpg  
Old 08-09-2010, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for it man. Ive seen people Ebay together some awesome kits.

One friend of mine has a 500 hp civic all from Ebay knockoff parts and over 4,000 miles on it. All in the tune and making sure you take your time putting it together right.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Badass, let us know what the final total is on the kit. Just remember, one of those turbos takes a dump and you might be forced to build the motor.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

yes finally somebody else is taking the challenge to turbo one of these things!!!! good luck i cant wait to see it run,
Old 08-09-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

good work man, cant wait to see the final results.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

Rear mount huh?
How are you going to handle oil/coolant for the turbos?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Coolant is easy, one line out and one line back, probably teed off of the heater core lines or something. Oil is more difficult because I'll have to pump it back to the pan. I'm thinking about using one of those electric diff oil pumps from Tilton to pump it to the pan. The oil restrictors have a tiny opening, I don't think much oil is flowing to to the turbos so I may just need one pump and some kind of pressure sensor for an idiot light to tell me if it is working or not. I may also put some kind of sump tank back there too to keep it from backing up to the turbos.

Also, if a turbo takes a dump, what is the worst that can happen to the motor? Metal shavings in the oil? If thats the case, it all goes back to the pan and through the oil filter anyways. Metal shavings in the intake probably are not going to happen since there will be about 10 feet of tubing and a really large intercooler to navigate, and I don't forsee me keeping the motor running long after a turbo kerplosion.

And it will only run rich if a turbo blows at WOT. Its not going to lean out like a fuel system failure.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

A friend with a low mounted/rear mounted turbo ended up building a small oil tank by the turbo and running a small electric oil pump. His biggest problem was getting the right restriction on there so he would stop blowing turbo seals. (oil cooled only turbo)
Old 08-09-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I believe BB turbos are more sensitive to oil pressure than 'typical' journal/sleeve bearings...I am curious how the pump will be wired, as far as varying the feed rate back to engine based on what, rpm? Or does it have something built in. Just wondering how that works.

You're a braver man than I using e-bay turbo knock-offs but good luck to you. That is just something that I don't want to skimp on and bit the bullet for genuine mitsu/tial, etc. parts. But if it works and lasts, that'd be great!

btw - forgot if I posted here or another forum, but you going to insulate the exhaust pipes, to keep aas much heat energy as possible to the exhaust turbine (turbo)? Just so much piping on those rear mounted kits, it amazes me they work good.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

I do have to ask why not mount them right off the stock manifolds, cut off the cats and tuck them right there? Quicker spool time, tons less piping.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there room there (don't know, as haven't been under car enough yet) and imagine if that's where the cats are, there should be good heat shielding on the body? If there's room there and for the physical placement of your wastegates and pipe routing, would be a better place, for sure. Imagine it's damn tight under there though, no?
Old 08-09-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
I do have to ask why not mount them right off the stock manifolds, cut off the cats and tuck them right there? Quicker spool time, tons less piping.
i think the effort to mount the turbos, piping, waste gates and dumps in that area isnt worth the trouble.

also putting them by the mufflers really doesnt hurt the spool time at all. pressure at one point of a close system is the same pressure at the other end. maybe reaction time would suffer some but i doubt its really noticeable.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The exhaust heat energy expansion is important to an efficient turbo and quicker spool-up times, as well as less pressure drop the closer you are to the intercooler and throttle body/plenum, etc....especially when you get to a blow off condition (let off pedal), you need to fill [pressurize] a lot of volume before reaching the combustion chamber...If you've ever done a 20 psig pressure test on a turbo system using an air compressor, you will gain a great appreciation at just how much volume/pressure the compressor (turbo) is able to produce and so quickly! and of course, it really illustrates how a short route makes such a difference. I would think these rear mount turbos must compensate in their wheel selection based on where they are and imagine they 'work', but just so much lost efficiency and imagine if it were properly placed (ie closest to insulated manifold)!
Old 08-09-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

I see no need for custom manifolds but theyll fit, i wouldnt recommend those size turbos on a lowered car but placement is pretty sick, much like the corvettes do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQNb3Qpb8Gw
Old 08-09-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I saw that video, pretty snazzy where he has them but unless everything is custom, there really is no way to fit them in there. I took a cat off and tried to trial fit the turbos in that same spot. Its pretty tight in there...
Old 08-10-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JNR_Design
The exhaust heat energy expansion is important to an efficient turbo and quicker spool-up times, as well as less pressure drop the closer you are to the intercooler and throttle body/plenum, etc....especially when you get to a blow off condition (let off pedal), you need to fill [pressurize] a lot of volume before reaching the combustion chamber...If you've ever done a 20 psig pressure test on a turbo system using an air compressor, you will gain a great appreciation at just how much volume/pressure the compressor (turbo) is able to produce and so quickly! and of course, it really illustrates how a short route makes such a difference. I would think these rear mount turbos must compensate in their wheel selection based on where they are and imagine they 'work', but just so much lost efficiency and imagine if it were properly placed (ie closest to insulated manifold)!
you also have to take into account the locations where a turbo can be fitted, costs to run it there and how it effects the ability to daily drive the vehicle. yes it is best to have the shortest most insulated route when mounting a turbo, but on most cars there just isnt room to do so without risking other vehicle systems. and on the v there just isnt room period.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To clarify, the turbos fit fine in that spot, but there was basically nowhere to run charge pipe and DEFINITELY nowhere to put an air filter in front of it, let alone any kind of pipe to the compressor inlet.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

"Washin" kinda sorta fit the turbos where the OEM cats are.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...most-done.html
Old 08-19-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Christmas came early!

More parts still on the way, rods, head studs, springs, pushrods, etc.

And my first time tigging aluminum. Its not easy!
Attached Thumbnails I think this might be relevant to your interest (turbo)-img_20100819_205931-custom-.jpg   I think this might be relevant to your interest (turbo)-img_20100817_221321-custom-.jpg   I think this might be relevant to your interest (turbo)-img_20100817_221353-custom-.jpg  
Old 08-20-2010, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
I see no need for custom manifolds but theyll fit, i wouldnt recommend those size turbos on a lowered car but placement is pretty sick, much like the corvettes do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQNb3Qpb8Gw
SO, whats the fix for this turbo app?

FORD 8.8?
Dana?

Quick Reply: I think this might be relevant to your interest (turbo)