Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Exhaust Decibels

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Decibels

Im going to Germany in Feb. I would like to upgrade my exhaust but I need to ensure I have an exhaust that doesnt go above 95dbs.

Does anyone know if any of the options out there stay below that but aids performance.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Launching!

What is more important? ---- Sound? or Performance?
The biggest restriction inhibiting performance are the catalytic converters.
Next are the exhaust manifolds, resonator & mufflers.
I believe that there would be a decibel restriction place on the muffler manufacturer by the government. So, above 95db is unlikely.
Hell, the government regulates how much water a toilet can be made to flush and that has to do with your personal exhaust so, I'm sure 'they' are up our car butts as well.
If you call the specific manufacturer, I'm sure they could provide some numbers.
You'll just have to decide wheather or not you want low mellow note or higher raspy note. How about 'modified stock' . . . hmmm . . . decisions, decisions . .
good luck,
Old 08-11-2010, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Thats what I was wondering... Germany has strict laws on it.

I want as much performance I can get while staying under or at 95 Db
Old 08-12-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by willsol
Im going to Germany in Feb. I would like to upgrade my exhaust but I need to ensure I have an exhaust that doesnt go above 95dbs.
Below 95dB measured at what distance and what location? Any specific RPM? Is that at cruise or at WOT?

Originally Posted by Stepside
What is more important? ---- Sound? or Performance?
Well, since he's asking about a sound restriction, it seems pretty obvious in his case the more important thing is sound.

I believe that there would be a decibel restriction place on the muffler manufacturer by the government.
You would believe wrong. You can go to Summit and buy a 1-chamber Flowmaster or a Dynomax Race Bullet or any number of other "race" mufflers and throw them on your car - the government doesn't regulate what muffler manufacturers make. Now, you may have local sound ordinances in your town or county or state, but that's still not a restriction on the muffler manufacturers. And most areas either don't have any such ordinance, or rarely enforce it.

If you call the specific manufacturer, I'm sure they could provide some numbers.
I doubt it. There are so many variables that go into how loud a car's exhaust is that the muffler manufacturer wouldn't even try to give you a dB rating for a muffler. If they could do that, you would see it advertised.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

NOISE LEVELS
C-24. NOISE LEVELS OF MUFFLERS AND EXHAUST SYSTEMS
All exhaust systems (manufacturer installed, or after-market) of motorcycles and automobiles will be
inspected for noise levels according to the procedures in paragraph C-25. Motor vehicles exceeding the
noise level of 95 decibels will be rejected.
NOTE: Many after-market exhaust systems do not conform to German noise-level standards. When a
vehicle is rejected because the after-market system does not meet German standards, the owner must
remove the nonconforming exhaust system and replace it with the original factory equipment or a TÜVapproved
after-market system. If neither of these options is possible, the vehicle must be registered
nonoperational.
C-25. NOISE-LEVEL TESTING
A stationary test will be conducted as prescribed in ECE R 41, annex 3, paragraph 4, (available at
http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29...gs/r041r1e.pdf) or the Code of Federal Regulations, Title
40, volume 16, part 259 (available at http://www.nonoise.org/lawlib/cfr/40/40cfr205.htm), figures C-1
through C-3 and table C-2.

The drawing makes no sense to me really....

ITs on page 90 of this form at this website
aer190-1.pdf
Old 08-12-2010, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Borla emailed me back and said theres measures between 90-94db.....
Old 08-12-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by willsol
The drawing makes no sense to me really....

ITs on page 90 of this form at this website
aer190-1.pdf
You're missing most of the link, so it no workee workee.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Decibels