Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Inconsistent brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inconsistent brake pedal

When I first got my CTS a few months ago, I had great initial bite right at the beginning of pedal travel. Recently the brakes have been getting more and more spongy to the point that the first two inches of travel do nothing.

Fluid level looks fine, couldn't find any leaks, what could be introducing that much air into the system? Clearly I need to bleed it, but I'd hate to be doing this every few months
Old 09-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so the pedal is getting softer or you have to use more pedal to stop? if it's getting softer when was the last time you bled the system? check your lines. if you have to use more pedal what pad are you using?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Flush the whole system with some new DOT 4 fluid. It brings back the lost factory pedal feel.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Teching In

I have some ATE Super Blue laying around from previous projects, think I'll run some of that through the system. Anyone know the factory capacity?
Old 09-02-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Its less than a can I know. Thats what I run in mine and it really didn't take much at all. Just make sure you keep the system full. Trying to get the air out of the ABS module can be a pain.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

be cautious using super blue that has been sitting around, once the seal is broken on those cans the oxidation of the fluid will cause premature breakdown. I have been advised by several brake techs while running a car out a sebring the blue is good for about a year, now people run it much longer than that without flushing, but for maximum efficiency it is typically good for about a year. You shouldn't notice too much on a DD, but if you are tracking the car be cautious with older fluid

Quick Reply: Inconsistent brake pedal