Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Gas Cap CEL

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 02:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Cap CEL

So for the past few months I've had a CEL for an evap issue ( i don't remember the exact code off the top of my head but can get it if need be ) and every drive the Nav pops up and says check gas cap. I have replaced the gas cap with a brand new OEM unit but it never resolved the issue.

Is it just that I got a bad cap when I replaced it or do I need to check something else? I would like for the CEL to go away
Old 10-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Have you cleared out all the codes after installing the new cap?
Old 10-21-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that and (this may be obvious) be sure you get 2 or 3 clicks at least...Perhaps putting some vaseline or the like on the seal would help it, although being new it should work as is...However, there is always the possibility that the "flange" on the filler nipple is not flat. If you can, put a straight edge across it to where it covers the most area and shine a light from the backside (use mirror if need be) and look at it in such a way to see if you see light coming thru low spots...I would use a flat piece of steel or aluminum that covers the whole nipple, if you can, being the "flange" is so thin.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

I got the same issue with mine and replaced the cap. I haven't gotten the message on the nav since then, but still have a code that won't clear...
Old 10-22-2010, 09:18 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by KamaSutra
Have you cleared out all the codes after installing the new cap?
Yes, I've cleared the code a few times...

It's also been popping up for quite some time so I've gone through enough tanks of gas to know it's not the number of clicks. I'll inspect the lip of the filler as well as the gas cap but it's done this on two different caps one being brand new so...
Old 10-22-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't there a hose that comes off the filler neck (farther down), also? perhaps that could be the culprit (say it was cracked). I'm not 100% on the V, but most cars have some sort of vapor hose there and bet it's tied in to determine if the cap is sealing, maybe. Sounds like PITA though and something the ***** here would fail you on (smog).

Unless there was some damage, doubt it's the neck sealing (flatness), but thought I'd bring it up to eliminate.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

I had this problem myself along with a vibration in my engine. I took it to the dealer and they said the purge valve solenoid was grounded out so the evap purge valve was stuck open all the time. They changed the solenoid and the problem is gone.

Quick Reply: Gas Cap CEL