Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Possible wheel bearing bad?? Little help needed everyone.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible wheel bearing bad?? Little help needed everyone.

As the title says, I think I have a driver's side front wheel bearing going out. Since I've had the car...14mos and 70k I have dealt with a floppy/loose front end. About 2 months ago I replaced the sway bar bushings...Which were TRASHED. That helped a little but didn't give me near the results I was hoping for. So today I ran the V up to about 120mph and as I was decelerating, no braking just let off the gas, the front driver's wheel felt like a tire was coming apart. SCARED ME TO DEATH. Checked the tires visually and they look okay. Since then the flopping/sloppiness has reached an all time high. At 35mph or so there is a constant "ticking" coming from the DH front wheel and when I'm taking off there is a "scrubbing/rubbing" sound coming from the same wheel. I plan on taking it to a shop and having it looked at in the am, I was just hoping someone might be able to give me a few pointers on what to look for.
Thanks and sorry for the LONG post.
2004 with 111,xxx on the clock.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the tires for an unusual wear pattern... they can often be mistaken for a bad wheel bearing... try rotating tires and see if the noise follows
Old 06-15-2011, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

when i had one go on my truck i could jack that tire off the ground and pull back and forth on the top of the tire and feel the slop.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Like jenks said, if its that bad, you should be able to feel the play in the wheel when you raise the front end. Different wobles me different things though. Might be a wheel bearing, inner or outer tie rod, or ball joints. Each one has it's own little thing you need to look for but it's a lot easier to show someone than explain it over a forum.

I said all that to say, if you feel slop, somethin' broke!!!
Old 06-15-2011, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Pretty simple to check for a bad wheel bearing, as jenks and raven said. Jack up each front corner, grab the tire as 12 and 6 o'clock, and try to rock it in and out. If there's any movement there, it's the wheel bearing. (Bad tie rods can usually be found doing the same thing but at 9 and 3 o'clock.)

With that said, what you've described doesn't at all sound like a bad wheel bearing.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep...I just got back from 2 different shops and neither could find anything wrong....I then took 2 mechanics for a ride and both said "Yep, somethings wrong...I just don't know what?"
Old 06-16-2011, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Judging from your other thread, I'm gonna say it's your steering rack. WhatdoIwin?

Quick Reply: Possible wheel bearing bad?? Little help needed everyone.