Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Newbie CTS V questions???

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie CTS V questions???

Just bought a 05 V but the owners manual is nowhere to be found so I was wondering how many miles the dealer recommends changing the trans and differential fluid at. I have heard a lot of bad things about the 04 and 05 diff so I am just trying to keep the maintenance up at least. Also The shifter going from 1st to 2nd gear sometimes wants to go into 4th rather than 2nd is that a normal problem or is it something I need to look into . The whole shifter in general feels sort of sloppy I have driven many manual transmissions but this is the first T 56 I have dealt with so just wondering. If you have any input I would like to hear cause I don't know anyone else with a cts V to ask.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Owners manual say for the trans and diff every 50,000 miles.

the 1-4 shift is normal, and not a problem, its how the car was built. the Computer Aided Gear Selection (CAGS) came on, i believe, all GM Manuals to keep the EPA MPG rating high to avoid high Gas Guzzler taxes. basically it force drivers to get better MPGs. Buy the 20 Skip Shift delete coupler or get the car tuned and have it deleted from the PCM.
CAGS will activate under the following conditions:
the engine coolant temperature is higher than 169°F,
vehicles speeds are 15-19 mph and
The throttle percentage is 21 or less

the stock shifter is sloppy in the V because it is not bolted into the top of the tranny. it uses a real shitty linkage set up. buy a Short Shifter or have one of the guys that modify the stock one mod yours. it will feel better, but still shift sloppy. once you replace the clutch and flywheel, the shift will feel like 10x better.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ Yeah that ... uh-h, except the "love hole" part.

You didn't mention how many miles you've got on your car.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info I was going to say i seemed that the trans only had issues at lower speeds but I though I was just crazy and was not paying attention to the shift at the time, but that makes sense now. The car has 59k miles on it so I guess I better get to the rear end service now.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by scottylow
Thanks for the info I was going to say i seemed that the trans only had issues at lower speeds but I though I was just crazy and was not paying attention to the shift at the time, but that makes sense now. The car has 59k miles on it so I guess I better get to the rear end service now.
I have a brand new CAGS eliminator that I never used because I went crazy and spent 10 Gs on go fast parts and tuning. It's a simple little thing that attaches to the bottom of the engine easily in about 2 minutes. You can have it for $20, think I paid $28... Send me a PM if you are interested.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://cadillacfaq.com/faq/doclib.html

Owners manual is there in PDF format. Most newer GM owners manuals are this way, free from GM.

Edit: also when the gearshift thing happens, you should see "1 -> 4" in the LCD display under the speedometer. If so, it is normal behavior.

Last edited by aurora40; 08-01-2011 at 07:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Newbie CTS V questions???