Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

No battery charging and no rpm working(cluster) after mp112 install

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No battery charging and no rpm working(cluster) after mp112 install

Hi,

i firend of mine installed a new ls6 engine in his 05 ctsv with a magnacharger mp112.Everything is working well mechanicly.The car start without any problem but the battery doesnt seems to charge(going from 12.65 to 11.35 while running idle).He also lost his rpm reading in his cluster,the gauge doesnt work anymore.

Before he took everything out ,everything was working properly.So where do we start to check ???

Thanks
Old 09-12-2011, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

There should be a two wire weather pack connection on the back of the alternator. One goes from the PCM to the alternator, the other from the alternator to the gauge cluster. When the key is on, you should show a voltage from that brown (I think) wire (that's the PCM to alternator). If you show no voltage on that wire, then find the other end of that wire on the PCM (find a pin out diagram online), and use an OHM meter to verify the line isn't shorted.

This is not a recommendation, but just fyi... I've had 2 CTS-V's, and both had this wire malfunction. I had to splice in and cut 3" from the alternator, and 3" from the PCM, and run a new wire between the PCM and alternator... it was just easier than taking all the loom off and trying to find where it was shorted.

Happy hunting! I hate wiring... I feel helpless whenever I have a wiring problem.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same thing happen .. the weather pack connector on the alternator crumbled..buy a new connector from luke at lindsey and splice it in..
Old 09-14-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well thank you,we now have a charging alternator.It was the pins in the conenctor that where way to loose.

Now the only problem remaining is that we still dont got any rpm reading in the cluster gauge ???
Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by always faster
Well thank you,we now have a charging alternator.It was the pins in the connector that where way to loose.

Now the only problem remaining is that we still dont got any rpm reading in the cluster gauge ???
Check your splice job on the ESS wire. I had the same issue and it turned out i did a poor job at crimping it and wasn't getting a good connection.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Onefast V
Check your splice job on the ESS wire. I had the same issue and it turned out i did a poor job at crimping it and wasn't getting a good connection.
Sorry but since im a french guy i dont always understand the meaning of all the words.What is the ESS wire ???

Thanks
By the way now we got a po654 code (engine speed output circuit)
Old 09-15-2011, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

ESS= Engine Speed Sensor, it is a white wire that you spliced. It comes off a connector on the drivers side of the engine bay.

Last edited by Onefast V; 09-15-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks everyone,we now got a fully working caddy
Now dyno time
Thanks again for all the help.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Launching!

I wish everything was this easy to fix.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RRsV
I wish everything was this easy to fix.
Well its not that easy,the car just shut down on the dyno
So other small problem:

At the first WOT run ,just when it hit the 4000rpm mark,the car just shut down.And now the car doesnt want to start anymore

It cranks fine,but it doesnt seems to have fuel injected in since the wideband show lean.How do we check if the fuel pump is working ???
Old 10-03-2011, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BADCTS
There should be a two wire weather pack connection on the back of the alternator. One goes from the PCM to the alternator, the other from the alternator to the gauge cluster. When the key is on, you should show a voltage from that brown (I think) wire (that's the PCM to alternator). If you show no voltage on that wire, then find the other end of that wire on the PCM (find a pin out diagram online), and use an OHM meter to verify the line isn't shorted.
What if it does show voltage, what would you check next?
Old 10-03-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Vness
What if it does show voltage, what would you check next?
Are you having the same issue after a maggie install? if so, look at my response as i had the same issue.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

No issues after maggie. actually having the "Battery not charging" issue. I've read in a few threads that it could be the wire from the alternator to the pcm but I'm getting voltage on that wire, L-terminal (orange wire)
Old 10-03-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

Could also be your alternator going bad. What's your mileage? Check the voltage at your battery when the car is running, should be Atleast 13.8v
Old 10-04-2011, 02:51 AM
On The Tree

I already pulled the alternator and had advanced test it. It tested good. I get the message right when I start the car or even before I start it and when it's in the "on" position. I have good voltage shown on the dic when I start the car though it will slowly drop. If I drive it it will jump up and down though, between 11 and 13v.

Maybe the voltage regulator? What sucks is it it part of the alternator. If I want to change it i have to buy a new alternator. Just want to rule other things out before spending money on a new alternator.

Btw the battery is pretty new also ( optima red top)

Any other ideas? Ill try to check the battery while the car is running with a meter just for the hell of it. Just have to put a couple things back together

Quick Reply: No battery charging and no rpm working(cluster) after mp112 install