Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What trans fluid should I use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Changed the trans oil today... original 103k oil came out real fast like a garden hose caught me off guard so I did not collect any, but it was a dark brown and came out like water.

I put in the 3/1 of Redline D4 ATF and their 75w80 trans oil. Still shifts great and is quiet. The car was shifting great on the original fluid too so I'm happy.

I also had a hell of a time installing the revshift block, even with car on lift and using a transmission jack and pry bars. I had to grind the block's front face down to get it to go in. After that I test drove it, and I was getting contact with the shifter linkage/bad vibrations (I have PISNUOFF's shifter). It wasn't shifting any better either and the shifter was obviously raised up small amount which felt a bit off to me. It slipped into Reverse a little easier but I wasn't having any real issues with it before, just a bit stiff.

I took it back out and the car feels perfect. I dont think there was anything wrong with my stock transmission mount.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I decided to convert and switched to the 3/1 combo last night. I didn't even pay attention at first, but it goes into reverse like butter now. Going to the strip tonight, so it was a good time to get that fluid in there.
The following users liked this post:
Joseph0284 (12-30-2022)
Old 11-09-2013, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice. Report back with your track times...
Old 11-09-2013, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MN_V
Nice. Report back with your track times...
No thanks, they're gonna be terrible, haha. I'm just going out to have fun. I'm more interested in my trap speed because I just put on a ported intake manifold. My ET is going to be disgraceful.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm only interested in your trap speed. Lemme know. I could care less about ET myself too, I'm not a bracket racer... mistakes/wheelspin/wheelhop happens.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

I put the 3/1 redline cocktail in the trans today as well. Dex VI that came out was only about 750 miles old. Shifts are detectably smoother, but not by magnitudes like some have described. Reverse is still no easier, more and more likely a worn syncro issue. Interested to see how the new fluid reacts to near freezing morning temps next week.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I put some more miles on the 3/1 mixture tonight and I echo your thoughts... the disengagements and engagements of the gears feel buttery. The notches going into/out of gears are still there but are smoother.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, shifting at the track was great, even with that long, terrible throw. Didn't miss any shifts or grind any gears, and I was bangin as fast as I could. Granted, I don't know what it would have been like with Mobil 1, but I'm sure this was much better.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

20*F this morning when I took my daughter to school. Shifts required a little more effort, but I haven't owned the car long enough to know how the standard Dex VI would have reacted. As soon as the trans temp hit 50*, things were back to normal. Happy with the 3/1 Redline cocktail, but still don't personally feel it's the miracle cure some have reviewed it as. I done worse to cars with $50
Old 11-13-2013, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fweasel
20*F this morning when I took my daughter to school. Shifts required a little more effort, but I haven't owned the car long enough to know how the standard Dex VI would have reacted. As soon as the trans temp hit 50*, things were back to normal. Happy with the 3/1 Redline cocktail, but still don't personally feel it's the miracle cure some have reviewed it as. I done worse to cars with $50
Very true. Not sure what was wrong with other's transmissions as mine felt great witht he 103k old stock Dex3 in it.

I daily drove my V all winter in MN last year including temps near -20 and even the watered down Dex3 feels like you're shifting through cold maple syrup in those temps.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I put the 3/1 redline cocktail in the trans today as well. Dex VI that came out was only about 750 miles old. Shifts are detectably smoother, but not by magnitudes like some have described. Reverse is still no easier, more and more likely a worn syncro issue. Interested to see how the new fluid reacts to near freezing morning temps next week.
Um....reverse has no syncro....

Also, if you are running your car in freezing temps regularly, I would have recommended against adding the MTL as it is thick like gear oil and will require a warm up time. So I would not hop in a cold car and start banging gears....

Originally Posted by MN_V
Very true. Not sure what was wrong with other's transmissions as mine felt great witht he 103k old stock Dex3 in it.

I daily drove my V all winter in MN last year including temps near -20 and even the watered down Dex3 feels like you're shifting through cold maple syrup in those temps.
My trans felt fine with ATF too, but better with the redline.....

You both said that you notice a difference for the better with the redline cocktail, so.....to say that you noticed a difference by simply changing fluids....is a big deal. You will not change the mechanics of it, duh. So you will feel the same notches, but it is the effort of shifting that has improved, no? Just saying that the feel from regular ATF to RP Synchromesh was not noticeable and then back to ATF. But the feel from going ATF to the redline cocktail, was amazing in my book.

Change engine oils one day and see if the manufactures claim of "unleashing more HP" can be felt by the A** dyno, in retrospect.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure what the gear oil does for you. I'd like to run it with and without the gear oil just to see if I notice a difference, but don't want to waste the money.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 69stangscj
I'm not sure what the gear oil does for you. I'd like to run it with and without the gear oil just to see if I notice a difference, but don't want to waste the money.
It is not "gear oil" per-se. It is MTL (manual transmission lubricant) that is "thick" like gear oil.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
It is not "gear oil" per-se. It is MTL (manual transmission lubricant) that is "thick" like gear oil.
Got ya, thanks for the explanation.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes to be clear as far as a shifting feel I would absolutely suggest the Redline mix. This morning it was in the upper 20s and shifted great so no complaints in cooler weather. BTW MTL is not near as thick as traditional gear lube - it pours much more freely at least.
The following users liked this post:
Joseph0284 (12-30-2022)
Old 11-14-2013, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

Also, if you are running your car in freezing temps regularly, I would have recommended against adding the MTL as it is thick like gear oil and will require a warm up time. So I would not hop in a cold car and start banging gears....

You both said that you notice a difference for the better with the redline cocktail, so.....to say that you noticed a difference by simply changing fluids....is a big deal. But the feel from going ATF to the redline cocktail, was amazing in my book.
I didn't think it did, but was recently told there was a syncro on both 1st and reverse. Guess they were wrong.

Part of driving a car in the Midwest properly is allowing it to warm up. Not an issue for me.

I did notice some improvement, but not anywhere near the word amazing. Amazing would be selecting reverse on the first try.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:48 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Actually, it does...it's right there with the 5/6 cluster. It never gets replaced during a rebuild, instead it just gets flipped over since only one side wears. It's an easy fix...takes a few hours to pull the driveshaft, yoke, and rear trans housing to access the cluster though.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DMM
Actually, it does...it's right there with the 5/6 cluster. It never gets replaced during a rebuild, instead it just gets flipped over since only one side wears. It's an easy fix...takes a few hours to pull the driveshaft, yoke, and rear trans housing to access the cluster though.
I stand corrected. Will try to roll backwords and see if it will go in or grind.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

We've been having temps below 15*F here lately and shifting before the trans reaches 40-50* is really a chore. While I'm not going to drain the Redline ATF because of it, I'll be going back to Dex the next time the trans requires a drain.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

We've been having temps below 15*F here lately and shifting before the trans reaches 40-50* is really a chore. While I'm not going to drain the Redline ATF because of it, I'll be going back to Dex the next time the trans requires a drain.
I was afraid of that since I'm running the same mix. I've gotten a few grinds when it is cold out that I don't think I was getting before, mostly just going into 4th if I shift too quickly at low rpms. Overall with temps in the low 30s it is shifting pretty nice. When I get back to MN it will get the real test.

Quick Reply: What trans fluid should I use?