Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

brake issue, looking for pointers on where to start

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default brake issue, looking for pointers on where to start

Driving last week i engaged the ABS and shortly after i got a low brake fluid warning and the BRAKE and TCS lights lit up on the dash. The pedal felt waaaay soft. I got home topped off the fluid took it for a drive and a couple restarts the lights went off and it seemed ok. Drove it again and the pedal went soft and fluid is low again. obviously there is a leak. car has been parked since.
I have looked at all the calipers and they all look dry and free of leaks. i have not seen any puddling under the car. i am guessing either master or abs block but i havent been able to get a look underneath. Any please chime in on what to check out when i am under this sucker this weekend. is there anything i can see from looking under the side or in the engine bay. i looked under the hood and i dont see anything leaking on the reservoir or the other underhood components.

and to boot defrosting the windshield after the snow fall here in the east the ****** cracked straight across. i need a break from this car for a little

thanks fellas.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Check your wheels and inner fenders for a hole in the soft lines. I found a leak on my integra back in the day that way. Nothing was hitting the ground but the one wheelwell was pretty coated.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

How many mile on your car? Do you have stock lines? The stock lines have busted before. The cts has a recall. Not the v but they use the same line i think.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by demang
How many mile on your car? Do you have stock lines? The stock lines have busted before. The cts has a recall. Not the v but they use the same line i think.
Check this out.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...llac-says.html
Old 12-12-2013, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah stock lines and 130k. i will be inspecting those lines for sure. if thats it i will be a happy camper. i was thinking way more involved. although bleeding is a PIA i will take lines and a bleed over a more serious issue. but we will see what i find.

Last edited by bigti99a; 12-12-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

so i got the V on the lift and the front driver side line is leaking real bad. looking for a couple suggestions on to go aftermarket or stock line(s). also the rears look fine the front passenger line is also fucked but not leaking yet.
should i just replace the fronts or do all four corners?
everyone has their own bleeding opinions, chime in with some proven methods.
brake fluid type?
any other tips?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Try RacingBrake lines. I just got them in--they definitely look like they were manufactured by UUC for RacingBrake, but when I asked, RB wouldn't confirm or deny. These lines going to replace the Goodridge lines that never fit right and (I suspect) have been the source of my soft pedal for the last 18 months.

http://www.racingbrake.com/CTS-V-04-07-p/bl920.htm

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 01-09-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

how long did they take to come in once you ordered them?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, I'd go with OEM lines. They're proven, have great feel and failures are rare, even at 130k miles.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bigti99a
how long did they take to come in once you ordered them?
Well, it was during the holiday season, but if I recall correctly, 6-7 business days. MAPerformance had the best price.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MN_V
Personally, I'd go with OEM lines. They're proven, have great feel and failures are rare, even at 130k miles.
The oem lines have a recall against them for corrosion I would never put oem lines on again. Plus ss lines do not ever need replacing.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Onefast V
The oem lines have a recall against them for corrosion I would never put oem lines on again. Plus ss lines do not ever need replacing.
I know that recall was for the regular CTS but I don't think the V was ever included on that (correct me if I'm wrong). I know a couple people have had issues though even on the V.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

I had to. I had originally ordered AgencyPower lines from an ebay vendor back in November when my passenger side line blew out and lost all pedal feel. I replaced that line with a stock OEM line and waited to get my AP lines in...

1 whole month later, nothing... and then to make it worse, the driver side line blew as well. So both lines blew, and 1 blew while waiting for the AP lines to come in. Replaced that with stock OEM line and contacted the seller about it.

Long story short, I'm on OEM lines until hopefully summer when I might try that purchase again with someone else.

I know that recall was for the regular CTS but I don't think the V was ever included on that (correct me if I'm wrong). I know a couple people have had issues though even on the V.
Both times, they blew on me when I was doing MAYBE 5mph. I'm happy about that.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you drive somewhere with a lot of winter conditions? Seeing those pics makes me worry since I DD mine in Minnesota.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

Do you drive somewhere with a lot of winter conditions? Seeing those pics makes me worry since I DD mine in Minnesota.
NYC and car is originally from NJ, so decent amount.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

There was no recall but they share the same exact lines between the cts and v. Also brake lines are supposed to be replaced every 5 ish years.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Onefast V
There was no recall but they share the same exact lines between the cts and v. Also brake lines are supposed to be replaced every 5 ish years.
The new part numbers are the same. Will at Lindsay Cadillac stated in that thread above that he thought the fittings were different inside the lines between the base and V. If they were the exact same part, the NHTSA dropped the ball, which is unlikely if it's as simple as being the same part.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have "HEARD" of people having issues with their master after going with aftermarket/stainless braided lines on older Vs with higher miles.

My deduction of this, is the stock lines expand, we all know this, however the new ones do not, well not as much.

Therefore, the new found "pressure" is translated to a weaker area of the system and has been found in the master cylinder.

The reason I put pressure in quotes as it has not increased, just been displaced to another area.

I anted to get lines, but I am thinking of get the Master cylinder at the same time just to make sure.

I wish there was a plug and play MC in the aftermarket. TICK are you listening.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Teching In

my pass side line just gave out this week. Got an OEM one for right now and probably upgrade to SS later this summer but for $40 I can drive again after my Motive bleeder shows up tm and I can get a better bleed thru the lines
Old 01-12-2014, 03:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tophat595
my pass side line just gave out this week. Got an OEM one for right now and probably upgrade to SS later this summer but for $40 I can drive again after my Motive bleeder shows up tm and I can get a better bleed thru the lines
Thats exactly how I thought and then blew the other line shortly after. Just take it easy until you get the new lines. I was glad to lose them at real low speeds... but losing it at 100+ would have been catastrophic.

Quick Reply: brake issue, looking for pointers on where to start