Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

End Links. Make your own off McMaster

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 05:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default End Links. Make your own off McMaster

I'm not sure if this was ever tossed around on this forum.

I built my own set of end links and they have been great.
ordered a total of 4 pieces to hook up the rear on my Civic SI.

This just might help some one out. I'll be going this rout when I'm ready to change my V's sway bars.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#rod-ends/=qideb9
-Just need to know OEM specs to order as accurately as possible.

the reason I thought about this for my V is because I visited Summit racing and looked at the Corvette links.

I thought to my self wow. that looks really familiar.

Here is what I used on my Civic SI

bout some simple hardware at Home Depot and done.

Well hope this aids some one on this forum.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I avoid Heim joints like the plague. They can't handle road grime and seize up quickly.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not use end links from McMaster Carr for a sway bar end link. They are a lower quality joint and are suitable for stuff like shift linkages but that is about it. If you plan on running AutoX or Time Trial you need to look into the rules too and see if your class allows or disallows spherical joints/bushings at these points of the suspension. A rod end will wear out just as a bushing will if not serviced and cleaned from time to time.

I'd recommend nothing less than FK Rod Ends or QA1 Rod Ends with something like a PTFE liner that will resist corrosion betweent the outer race and the spherical ball joint. Something else to keep in mind is that the suspension does not travel in a perfectly linear up/down path so you might need to use misalignment spacers to allow the rod end to properly rotate through the full range of motion of the suspension. Some rod ends have enough of the spherical joint exposed to allow for this but I would recommend cycling the suspension and check for binding at any point before buttoning it all up. You need to carefully look at the load rating for each rod end you plan on using and make sure its rated to handle a substantial amount of load because not all rod ends are rated the same.

This is the sway bar I built for the back of my 4 linked Toyota. I used a QA1 Heims threaded into a solid circle track tie rod that I drilled and tapped to accept the heim. I tried an off the shelf cheapo heim before this and they snapped first time out.

I built the links at full compression with no air in the airshocks so the arms of the sway bar would be perfectly level at ride height. You can see here (by not being able to see the end link) that I built them to travel perfectly in line with the travel of the shock so this time minimal misalignment was needed throughout the suspension travel and the joint had enough in it to not bind.

Last edited by StretchASU; 02-01-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stock corvette end links are cheap enough. I just paid $27 for mine. Had to use a 1/2" drill bit to open up the holes, but this car will likely never see stock height suspension again.

Quick Reply: End Links. Make your own off McMaster