Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Who bought team dynamics wheels on eBay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never had a problem with Sean for anything. He's a stand up guy.
I've got a set from him on the racecar and never had a problem...

I also just call him direct or email him. Outside of eBay there are less fees involved so he can probably go lower on pricing
Old 03-01-2014, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah that's what he said. He was really straightforward about it. Just wish I knew that before I hit 'buy' on eBay but that's on me.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

So back to this. Wheels came today. All look great. I didn't notice any centercaps so I emailed Sean. He said they were the cause of hub interference on some models and may not come with them anymore. After I opened up the rest of the boxes I found 4 caps in one of the wheel boxes, so I let him know. He said to be careful mounting them and watch for interference otherwise the metal ring that acts as a spring for the cap may crack the wheel. So that may be the mystery issue. He also asked for my feedback after mounting them.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Although they couldn't determine the issue when i had it, that sounds EXACTY like what happened to me. I thought I was going crazy
Old 03-05-2014, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigBlock.Condor
Although they couldn't determine the issue when i had it, that sounds EXACTY like what happened to me. I thought I was going crazy
So just for clarification.. You tried them on an 05 V? And also, did you put the centercaps in before you put the wheel on the car? Any other details that could exonerate you as a crazy person (kidding) and the wheels themselves as 'fitting like ****'? I think it would be nice to tie this up all in one thread. So many fragments all over the Internet. This could help TD, Trinitytek, and especially me
Old 03-05-2014, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Yes I have an 05 V that they were being put on. I cannot remember for 100% certainty whether or not I put the caps on first but in the past I have always done it that way so its likely I did. I'm surprised that a little center cap spring is strong enough to push out a chunk of a casted wheel. That's crazier than I am haha
Old 03-05-2014, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigBlock.Condor
I'm surprised that a little center cap spring is strong enough to push out a chunk of a casted wheel.
Yeah, I'm struggling with this idea as well.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

It definitely says something about build quality though I'm not sure if it says "good spring" or "bad wheel" haha
Old 03-05-2014, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think it's that tough to picture. I'll keep this thread updated.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

He asked for some photos of the center bore so I took a few with and without the cap mounted. He reviewed them and said I should be fine. He did recommend mounting the wheels before adding the centercaps to be safe.

I think the issue would be caused by the spring expanding behind the wheel and then getting crushed when you torque the lugs down.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by isis
I think the issue would be caused by the spring expanding behind the wheel and then getting crushed when you torque the lugs down.
That makes much more sense
Old 04-06-2014, 01:25 AM
TECH Regular

I have these wheels only problem is the center caps don't clear the axle ends
Old 04-06-2014, 01:28 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a set of brand new team dynamic wheels if anyone is interested...Bought them from Luke, and never mounted them...

Silver color. I am a little more trust worthy than ebay...

PM me if you are interested
Old 04-06-2014, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just to update. These fit just fine but the rear center caps do not. It looks like the centric (if that's the right word) part of the hub is too deep to let the tabs and the spring fit into the wheel. Also the axle stub may be a touch too long. I couldn't tell which interfered first but I left them off the rears. I don't really care that much. If it bothers me over time, I'll fix it.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Onefast V
Some people have issues with the rear wheels needing a spacer as the lip of the wheel hub/bearing. I just grounded my lip down so I didn't have to run the spacers.
This is what I was talking about. I think the lip in the center of the hub is a little thick to let the centercaps snap in. I don't think I'd grind the axle stub down but I wouldn't have a problem with this. Maybe next weekend I'll pull them off and take a couple measurements. If I fix it I'll put pics up so it's written down somewhere.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:45 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Well i also have CCW used C140 Model i think 8.5 front and 9.5 rear
Old 04-07-2014, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

Just to update. These fit just fine but the rear center caps do not. It looks like the centric (if that's the right word) part of the hub is too deep to let the tabs and the spring fit into the wheel. Also the axle stub may be a touch too long. I couldn't tell which interfered first but I left them off the rears. I don't really care that much. If it bothers me over time, I'll fix it.
It's the axle threads. I just ground them down. They really doesn't need much grinding to get the center caps on.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's the axle threads. I just ground them down. They really doesn't need much grinding to get the center caps on.
I'm a little concerned about grinding on the axles. Wouldn't the heat generated affect the hardness? Or is it really that minimal? It's a pretty big stub. Probably needs 4-5mm to be taken off the end.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

I'm a little concerned about grinding on the axles. Wouldn't the heat generated affect the hardness? Or is it really that minimal? It's a pretty big stub. Probably needs 4-5mm to be taken off the end.
The kind of heat your generating would not affect the hardness. It was literally less than one thread for me. Actually I think the end is chamfered and all i had to do was flatten that to the first thread.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

The kind of heat your generating would not affect the hardness. It was literally less than one thread for me. Actually I think the end is chamfered and all i had to do was flatten that to the first thread.
Ok thanks. I'll just measure it and see how much it's gotta go. I'm going to increase the chamfer on the hub-center ring too, just to make sure I don't have any issues with the cap seat and spring. It looked to have much less clearance than the front.

Quick Reply: Who bought team dynamics wheels on eBay?