Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Cts v clutch issues/ACT clutch install

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cts v clutch issues/ACT clutch install

Ok, so i bought my car about a year ago and the clutch was replaced with an ls7 clutch/flywheel setup. Since ive had the car, when i beat on it.. The pedal would get stiff and would require a couple pumps to return to normal. I figured it would be the fluid getting hot, so i wrapped the clutch line in DEI heat wrap but the problem did NOT go away. I then parked the car for winter (expecting bad fluid or line), and this year i did a burnout anddd it started grinding going into 2nd.. Checked the reservoir and found low fluid level.. Where did it go? Topped it up, but the grind did not go away. So pulled the trans, replaced the ls6 spacer w/spacer for a brand new ls7 slave.. Still grinds going into 2nd, and now slips on wot in 3rd/4th. Please keep in mind, the car grinds going into 1st/2nd after rolling, unless i come to a stop and throw it in 4th.

Anyways, ordered an ACT clutch, pulled the trans today expecting to find a toasted ls7 clutch.. And found a perfectly fine clutch.. WTF? Anybody else have this problem before? And will the ACT clutch be ok with just an ls7 slave alone? Or do i need to run a spacer. I know i can measure it out, but im looking to see what other people have done. And next i plan on inspecting the master cylinder tomorrow when i have time.. Dont feel like putting it all back together until i figure out whats going on here.. Any input helps. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:19 AM
Launching!

Have you looked into the master cylinder? The fluid has to be leaking from somewhere if it is gone. Could be possible you messed up your tranns not having the right slave in there with all the grinding?? Your post didn't mention bleeding, I assumed you have bled it lots?

I put an ls7 in my car (all ls7 parts, ram 16lb flywheel) and it is like butter. Bled it once then a week later and haven't had any problems, holds great. I wouldn't be using any shims based on what I have read on here
Old 03-23-2014, 12:28 AM
Teching In

That's just the thing, we never found the leak.. And I hope it's not my trans. If I'm nice to it, it shifts fine. But who knows, maybe it is the trans. Still doesn't explain the clutch slip in 3rd/4th though.. And it never grinded/had an issues until this year, that's when I noticed the fluid level being low. And yes it's been bled multiple times.. It had an ls6 slave in it until I tore it apart a month ago and installed an ls7 slave
Old 03-23-2014, 12:29 AM
Teching In

And ya I've heard not to use a spacer with an ls7 slave if you do an ls7 clutch, but what if it's an act? Haven't been able to find too much info/people who run the act in a v..
Old 03-23-2014, 12:46 AM
Launching!

I would def look into the master cylinder, I replaced mine when I did my ls7 clutch when my pedal went dead on my dual mass. Fluid was also gone and didn't help when I topped it off.

I don't think there is very much mystery on the different clutches, are you buying the clutch disk/pp for the ls6 with the dual mass or the ls7 flywheel?

I also would call act, lots of smart guys on here but you can't go wrong calling them up
Old 03-23-2014, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They leak at the slave seal a lot. Only way to make sure wether you need a spacer or not or a different thickness is to measure. Should be easy while its apart.

Quick Reply: Cts v clutch issues/ACT clutch install