Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

mounting an Optima Group 78 battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mounting an Optima Group 78 battery

I decided to replace my Group 101 battery with an Optima Red Top Group 78 battery but, once I got the new battery in place, I didn't think it would pass tech at the track because it moved around a lot. After a few experiments, I found that (with a few minor modifications) a $25
Allstar battery box Allstar battery box
fit nicely and stopped the movement.

First, I had to trim the two "ears" off the battery box so it would sit flat against the firewall. Then, I had to remove the part of the existing battery mount that receives the bolt-in hold down "puck" by drilling out the 2 rivets that hold the bolt boss to the rest of the factory battery tray location. Finally, I drilled 4 holes in the new battery box (2 bottom, 2 firewall) and screwed into the existing battery location. Technically, I guess this means the mount is only as strong as the 4 screws and plastic of the existing battery location but, eventually, I may figure out a way to improve that.

mounting an Optima Group 78 battery-ga9zazc.jpg

mounting an Optima Group 78 battery-bw05flz.jpg

I did have to shorten the j hooks so the hood would close but, once I did that, everything closes up fine.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That actually looks very good and clean. I dig it.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

agreed
Old 05-24-2014, 03:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thinking!
Old 05-30-2014, 08:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All I had to do to install the same exact battery was to grind down the hold down. It never moved at all. I don't see why you had an issue unless they changed the battery in the last year.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Is the issue that your battery has a different foorprint than the OEM size? The yellow top I had installed with my audio system is technically the wrong model because of the top posts, but it dropped right in and clipped in with the OEM hardware no problem.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

The red top was a bit smaller than the factory 101 battery. My main issue was that the group 78 battery was not held down very well by either the factory hold down "puck" or the scalloped "puck" that optima included with the battery. I could move the battery by hand and that won't pass tech.

My issue with the factory puck was that, given the fact that the red top is rounded on the sides, the flat faced factory puck had nothing to really clamp down except like a 5 mm lip on the bottom edge.

Quick Reply: mounting an Optima Group 78 battery