Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

B-Pillar and airbag removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default B-Pillar and airbag removal

Before I go manhandling this thing out. How do you remove the b-pillar trim. I remember seeing tabs on one end. Just trying not to break any off.
Also, how do you pull the steering wheel airbag off ?

Thanks

Last edited by jmargo; 08-16-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:27 AM
Staging Lane

The B Pillar trim is 2 pieces and they come of together. Its probably easiest to pull if the front seats are out, or at least unbolted and pushed as far as possible toward the dash.

To pull the B - Pillar trim, start at the bottom dark grey/black inverted "T" shaped piece. This dark grey piece pulls out toward the center console. Starting from the bottom there are 4-6 push pins in the "T" piece. As you move from bottom to top, continue pulling toward the inside of the car.

Once the upper light grey trim separates from the b-pillar it will still be grasping the headliner. Pull down (toward floor) and slightly wiggle the trim fore and aft (engine/trunk) to release from the headliner.

Sorry I cant help with the steering wheel air bag.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks

Nobody knows how to remove the airbag ?
Old 08-19-2014, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From memory...

The steering wheel airbag: to be safe, unplug the battery and/or pull the airbag fuse. (I think there's an airbag fuse? I just unplugged the battery.) There are three holes on back of the wheel. You'll have to turn the wheel to put each of them at 12 o'clock so you can get to them with a small flat blade screwdriver. The two holes at 3 and 9 o'clock are easy - I just put a screwdriver in there, twisted it and the pins released. The hole at 6 o'clock requires you put the screwdriver in the hole and lift/push toward the center of the wheel to release the pin. If that's not clear, I'll take a picture of the back of a spare wheel I have tonight.

With that, the center pad will pop off and you can disconnect the two yellow electrical connections and the horn ground. That will allow you to unscrew the four screws and get the bag and round, black airbag "charge" disconnected from the center pad.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks. That seems easy enough.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To add to the safety aspect; after disconnecting the battery, let it sit for awhile. I believe they have a capacitor which would make sense as you wouldn't want the airbag to fail as soon as the battery is disconnected (run off road and then into a tree or something).

Quick Reply: B-Pillar and airbag removal