Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

I'm about to add Kooks LT's to my otherwise stock CTS-V, should I bother with intake?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm about to add Kooks LT's to my otherwise stock CTS-V, should I bother with intake?

Hi Gents,
I've scoured this forum and the Caddy forums, and I see a huge number of conflicting opinions on the value of an intake. I'm about to add a set of Kooks Long Tubes to my otherwise stock 2004 CTS-V (LS6) and get a tune. I used to own a C5Z06, and my tuner at the time recommended an intake. From everything I've read, the intake doesn't seem to be as important on the CTS-V however, due to the different intake routing (curved from the corner of the engine bay rather than a straight shot).

The tuner I'm talking with now recommended getting an intake, and they sell the K&N and Volant. It is a reputable/experienced shop in Charlotte, NC.

You can call me a p*ssy, but I don't really want my car to be filled with obnoxious sucking and whooshing sounds unless it's going to add substantial power. It's may daily driver and I'm getting old. That's why I went with the LT's bolted to my stock cat-back...I like peace and quiet when I'm commuting, etc.

Does anybody have definitive evidence that an intake will help substantially on these cars when mated to LT's and fully tuned? Any input is appreciated.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Not many modern airboxes are a significant restriction at factory levels or even 10-20% power increases, especially factory performance models. Even drop-in filter elements are questionable as far as gains. If you don't want the noise, don't bother. If the noise makes it feel fast to you, have at it.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pulling air through the stock box then pushing that air into the motor, and the box is not my restriction. It won't be yours, either.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if anything a 90mm tb and ported intake manifold would be a better intake option with the long tubes and tune. but also more $$$.

As stated a "cold air" intake tube/filter is a waste of money pretty much...as rand49er would say.. "its snake oil"
Old 09-15-2014, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ditch the stock elbow and in favor of a smooth tube and run it to the stock airbox. You will see a small gain and save yourself some money in the process.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Thanks gents. This was the response I was expecting. Much appreciated.

Also, I'll be sure to post up my gains after the headers are installed and the car is tuned. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: I'm about to add Kooks LT's to my otherwise stock CTS-V, should I bother with intake?