Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...
View Poll Results: What do you prefer
2.60%
7.79%
2.60%
36.36%
7.79%
7.79%
35.06%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Custom hood poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DMM
Ughh!!!! ::: Palm forehead :::

How hard is it to comprehend this is for a NEW hood to be designed and fabricated, not a vote on who likes an existing design.
So for the 3rd time you post about people liking option 7. As said about 12 times in the thread, THESE ARE STARTING POINTS. The new hood will be "based" on the hood that wins. Some of the many changes could include: wider cowl, different shape/style cowl, different vent location, different vent shape/style etc, etc.

Why don't you use photoshop and design a hood similar to 4 that fits on the V1? Instead of pissing and moaning do something to give people an idea of what we could have.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:11 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrad
So for the 3rd time you post about people liking option 7. As said about 12 times in the thread, THESE ARE STARTING POINTS. The new hood will be "based" on the hood that wins. Some of the many changes could include: wider cowl, different shape/style cowl, different vent location, different vent shape/style etc, etc.

Why don't you use photoshop and design a hood similar to 4 that fits on the V1? Instead of pissing and moaning do something to give people an idea of what we could have.
1. If I could photoshop anything I'd already have an album of me banging Katy Perry.

2. I (and everyone else) already know what an Extreme composites hood looks like on a V1. Even as a starting point. They've been around for years and you can still buy one today. It has already been stated the Extreme Composites hood offers no additional clearance by design.

Here's an idea...why doesn't everyone hell bent on recreating a ******* wheel go over to the "Vengeance Racing Drag Pack Wheel" thread and inquire about the possibility of having Weld make custom wheels that look exactly like Forgestar F14 wheels. Brilliant ******* idea, isn't it?
Old 10-14-2014, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DMM
1. If I could photoshop anything I'd already have an album of me banging Katy Perry.

2. I (and everyone else) already know what an Extreme composites hood looks like on a V1. Even as a starting point. They've been around for years and you can still buy one today. It has already been stated the Extreme Composites hood offers no additional clearance by design.

Here's an idea...why doesn't everyone hell bent on recreating a ******* wheel go over to the "Vengeance Racing Drag Pack Wheel" thread and inquire about the possibility of having Weld make custom wheels that look exactly like Forgestar F14 wheels. Brilliant ******* idea, isn't it?
To address point 2:
1) What do you suggest people that like that style hood do? Hold their tongue when someone is offering to make a new hood design? I like the EC hood but would happy getting one with different style vents, maybe a little wider cowl. Just not 5" tall like option 4.

2) 98% of the people with a v1 will never need additional clearance. Making a hood strictly for 2% of consumers might not work out too well.
That's why I'm suggesting someone do a drawing/PS/smear **** with a stick/etc so people can actually have an idea of what it would look like.

I personally won't buy a hood with a huge cowl (IMO) like option 4. (seeing one might change my mind of course)

So again, either help find a solution or suffer in silence like everyone else. lol
Old 10-14-2014, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of us aren't interested in a wider cowl. We want a taller cowl. Nobody has tried (or maybe wanted) to fit a taller intake manifold or whipple supercharger because they didn't want to cut a hole in their hood to fit it.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HtownV04
Most of us aren't interested in a wider cowl. We want a taller cowl. Nobody has tried (or maybe wanted) to fit a taller intake manifold or whipple supercharger because they didn't want to cut a hole in their hood to fit it.
A few have done a Whipple. One guy did cut his hood
Old 10-14-2014, 09:58 PM
Teching In

there is a picture on instagram of a v1 with around a 3" v2 style cowl hood. Looks pretty much like #4. I commented on it and the guy said he did it himself. I have the pic on my phone but have no clue how to post it on here. Im not sure if its ok to post the guys instagram name on here or not.... but I think the hood looks awesome on a v1.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:43 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jezus
there is a picture on instagram of a v1 with around a 3" v2 style cowl hood. Looks pretty much like #4. I commented on it and the guy said he did it himself. I have the pic on my phone but have no clue how to post it on here. Im not sure if its ok to post the guys instagram name on here or not.... but I think the hood looks awesome on a v1.
If you can link me to the photo, I'll screen shot it, remove any personal identifying info (tag etc), and host it so that everyone can actually see what it looks like. PM me.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:01 AM
Teching In

dmm your pm's are full and it wont let me send it
Old 10-15-2014, 06:27 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jezus
dmm your pm's are full and it wont let me send it
My bad man. Cleared them out.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:12 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

So here they are, courtesy of Jezus. Thanks man!

And just b/c I can....

Old 10-15-2014, 07:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That hood looks awesome minus the color and I think those sharp lines could be softened just a tad. Dam I wonder what his clearance.

Damn she looks fun.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:55 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Becker
That hood looks awesome minus the color and I think those sharp lines could be softened just a tad. Dam I wonder what his clearance.

Damn she looks fun.
You're correct on all accounts. I like it as a starting point, although the V1 hood starts off ridiculously low so the V2 cowl kinda looks like it was stuck on there rather than being integrated. And it would look much better if some of the edges were smoother.

Don't get me wrong, the guy did a phenomenal job with everything. Since there is an opportunity for a clean sheet design, I think it would be better to raise the very front of the hood in the slightest bull nose fashion to allow for more clearance up front and to smoothly transition into the cowl. This is really the only way to free up additional clearance where we (supercharged and high rise intake people) need it the most.

And yeah - I bet she is lots of fun.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

It looks more like number 5 than number 4 truth be told. But its a geat visual
Old 10-15-2014, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So the distance from the TB to the blower is roughly 10". The width of the blower is 15" and it IS positioned in the center of the engine bay.

The main measurement you need from here, I think, is the location of the TB from the tip of the hood. From memory it was about 12 3/4" but I really need to do a better job measuring it. I'll get that and verify all of the others tonight unless we get more tornados.
I did remeasure and the only thing I missed was the distance from the high point on the TB to the main body of the SC. That measurement should be 9 1/2". I'm sure you noticed the granularity of the measurements. I considered trying to get more accurate but with all of the aftermarket motor mounts I really don't believe any additional accuracy would be relevant. BTW - I am using the Revshift motor mounts.

As far as the style hood, if the pic DMM linked is 3" high in the front I would be all for decreasing the rise to around 2.5". I'm not sure if it is all of the hard lines but that cowling definitely looks like an add-on. What I am more interested in is a V1 version of this hood:

For my purposes it could be even lower rise but I am sure the high rise intake guys would want the height.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DMM
Thanks for posting pics. And just so we can continue to argue, you should have posted the "Sesame Street Bounce Katy Perry" Gif

sssnake: I agree with you. I like the smoother lines, shorter cowl, and style of vents.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Like the picture, just not very work friendly...
Old 10-24-2014, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BUMP - Still VERY interested.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

Be nice is this became
A real thing

Intrested
Old 10-27-2014, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it doesn't I am likely going to break out the air body saw and fiberglass.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DMM
And just b/c I can....

So where's the voting button for that!?! I'll take two...

Quick Reply: Custom hood poll